Is there anything i can do to improve the battery life in my Late 2008 MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bo-waleed, Jan 14, 2015.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

The battery lasts for 2 hours or less now.

In the Battery Health App it says that my battery health is 85% (but sometimes it drops to 56%,idk why) and it is 6.1 years old, lolz.
    I think i bought my MBP in Dec 2008.

Is it ok to leave my MBP off without a battery for a long time ? Does this make the battery rest or something ?

My MBP is the high end one and it comes with 2 GPU, Will disabling one GPU be useful ?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes

Yes there is replacing the battery. However you'll not get the sort of battery life you get out of modern laptops whatever you do thats far more down to component efficiency and software optimisation along with bigger and better batteries.

Batteries eventually die that it is their nature, 2 hours after 6 years is monumental for a consumer laptop battery.

Many macbooks won't work without a battery, it may be worth checking inside to make sure your battery is not starting to swell as well as if it splits your laptop is ruined most times.

To be honest at 6 years old you have to look at the trade offs of fixing obsolete tech against just putting money towards a new laptop...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only thing left to do, is replace it. The battery is going on 4 years - age and usage have basically used up the component.

4. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, My main computer is a win8 desktop and I can afford buying a new mac laptop but I don't feel my MBP is dated, It's working fine.

And the 2 hours battery is fine for me considering it is 6 years old.

I am waiting for something really new to buy a new mac like OSXI.

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

New battery. $99 and call it good.

Using the 9400m while on battery will help a bit over the 9600. It also greatly depends what you're doing on it. I replaced the original swollen battery in my Late 2008 MacBook (13") back in September 2013 with an OWC one, and it has done just fine. I get around 4 hours, about what the original got back on Leopard when it was still new.

I also find Safari is more power efficient for browsing, though I use Chrome anyway because it syncs with everything and is cross platform.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As others have said, your battery is getting a bit long in the tooth. They will die over time, regardless of how they're used. I'd recommend you replace it before it starts swelling, as many do near the end of life. Swelling could damage other components in your MBP. The investment in a new battery is small, compared to your investment in your MBP.
    If you're storing the battery for 6 months or more, you should store it with a 50% charge on it. No, leaving it off for long periods doesn't cause the battery to rest. The battery will die over time, whether it's used or not.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

7. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

How can I choose only one GPU to run ?

I tried downloading gfxcardstatues but it doesn't support Snow Leopard.

8. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

See How to set graphics performance

It's under Energy Saver in System Preferences:

[​IMG]