Is there anything we as consumers can do about the whole supergreed of phone carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Oct 24, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

:mad: I am sure A LOT of people are tired of the unfair prices of a bad valued service. No unlimited data from Verizon or AT&T...Super expensive and barely any data for a fair price. T-Mobile is the only hope left...
    People needs to talk or do something. What's the point of having high speed LTE data if you will be limited to around 200MB - 1GB of data ? Complaining because the size of webpages images videos and apps has all increased with the whole new iPhone 6 Plus resolution. So of course the phone is going to use up more data. Stupid how they want $100 dollars a month for JUST 10GB of data for Verizon. Not including the phone/text plan and taxes.

2. CoilTap macrumors regular

As consumers we can stop buying service from the carriers we perceive as not suiting our needs. Go to Sprint or T-Mobile or one of the many budget carriers.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

We could get pitchforks and torches and storm their castles
    Wait, that never works out well

Shop around, get your best deal for you and move on
    Supply and demand
    Way things work

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Don't like the setup at the big boys AT&T or Verizon? Go to T-Mobile.

Still not to your taste, switch over to prepaid. Use an MVNO like Straight Talk or one of the others.

Lots of options other than the big boys. Trade offs too.

You're not going to get Ferrari performance at a Ford Fiesta price no matter how unfair you think it is...

5. imnjs macrumors member

imnjs

Is there anything we as consumers can do about the whole supergreed of phone ...

I actually talked to a manager at the VZW store today asking about the possibility of Verizon bringing back an unlimited data option to compete with the likes of Sprint and Tmo. She said that nothing was really in the works right now and continued to say that something like 95% of customers rarely go over 5gb of data usage and the other 5% abuses the hell out of it, like 100gb+, and that it clogged up the bandwidth. I knew that wasn't accurate information but she was cute so I just went with it, lol. I did ask her if the XLTE was meant to fix those bandwidth issues but she was unsure.

I think if Verizon did come out with an unlimited data plan, AT&T would probably follow and vice-versa. At least I hope that's the case. I'm crossing my fingers.

6. Batman89 macrumors 6502

I think unlimited data plans are a thing of the past.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't need unlimited data
    My wife and I have 2 iPhones, 3 iPads
    And my step daughter has an iPhone and an iPad
    We are on shared data 10GB
    We have never come even remotely close

WiFi at home, work and most places we frequent
    Not really an issue for me

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Based on some of the posts here and at HoFo, while she was stretching the truth there are definite abusers who almost consider it a badge of honor to use as much data as possible. :)

Whatever the real numbers, fact is with any business there are some customers that it's simply better to foist off on the competition. Ever wonder why Progressive gives you the auto insurance rates for their competition? It's because there are some drivers they don't want to sign up with them. What a great way to encourage them to go elsewhere, show them the other guys rates.

I suspect we won't see true unlimited high speed data return anytime soon. If it does, it'll be engineered like AT&T's throttled data and the throttle cap will be adjusted based on market conditions.

Just my $0.02. I could well be wrong.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

The only way to speak loudly to a large corporation is with your money. Continuing to give it to them conveys the message that you're satisfied with their plans/policies. So with the majority of the US paying VZW/AT&T, they can and will continue to charge the maximum that they feel they can.

As for unlimited data, VZW/AT&T have a large competitive advantage over TMO/Sprint in coverage. There is enough profit shared between the two of them in the mobile space that it's not worth it to offer unlimited data in order to try and one up each other. There are plenty of billions to go around by selling tiered data and charging overages.

So in other words, there will be no unlimited data offered by AT&T/VZW. They're so much larger than Sprint/TMO right now that they don't need to offer it in order to compete and they're making so much money between each other that it makes no sense to offer to one up each other.

10. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Buy unlocked. Get a SIM-only plan from a smaller but better carrier.

UK carriers suck. Seriously customer service can be a joke, especially with EE (who can go **** themselves).

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

12. iWozinator macrumors member

They are alive and well at T-mobile

13. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Supergreed? Apple proudly implements that practice and we fund it. The carriers are novices that fail to measure up to anything even close to Apple's expertise.

If you don't like it go elsewhere say most Apple supporters. Just read, anyone who dares to complain about the Cupertino Company is often offered that solution by the forum members here :)

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Depends, they were when I ran the #'s for my family. No service at one of my work sites though so pretty much took them out of consideration.

Really though I included them in my post because they offer an unlimited plan and the others don't. If that's important, you have an option.

15. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

It's the only real solution the Universe has ever had to offer.

16. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

So if we have supply and demand now and don't already have what the OP is after, does that mean we didn't have supply and demand before?

OP, I've been giving this some thought. We have to do it in steps. Step one is everyone moving away from contracts. Even if you don't move, having the ability to move the still powerful in that they can't take you for granted, knowing you could leave at any moment.

Step two is using that power to shift providers as often as necessary to keep the best serviced at the best price. Only when we are willing to leave does supply and demand actually work.

17. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I wonder if there is anything that can be done about the pervasive entitlement mentality.

Don't like something, don't spend your hard earned money on it.

18. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Definitely cheaper for a lot of people...and about three times as fast as AT&T in my area. Coverage in my region is fine too. But it's not going to be that way for everyone.

It's always worth asking around to see how a carrier performs in your area, and likewise it's well worth keeping an eye on other carriers' plans--even if you just use that info for leverage when talking to your own carrier's retentions department. (Lots of people getting extra data from AT&T that way lately.)

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Econ 101: demand curves describe the market reality that for any given price point there will be some customers who are happy with getting the product or service at the price, some who are even happier because they're willingly pay more, and some who are unhappy because the product/service is priced higher than they wish (or are willing) to pay.

e.g. there will always be some who think it's a "rip off"... if there aren't, then the producer/supplier is leaving money on the table and ripping off their employees and stockholders since they could be making more money for the same product/service and thus pay employees more and enhance shareholder returns/value.

Supply and demand are always working no matter what. It's just the basic functioning of any free market absent governmental intervention on either the supply or demand curves. Price subsidies to manufacturers (think the solar power / green subsidies to make alternative energy more affordable) to move the supply curve or tax incentives or disincentives to move the demand curve (think cigarette taxes or tax credits if you buy an electric car).

The scenario you describe is an effort to cause a shift in the demand curve by changing public willingness to pay, thereby forcing the supplier/producer to either lower prices or entice alternate suppliers/producers to enter the market offering the same stuff for less money.

Again like I said, Econ 101 stuff.

Added thought: we're seeing a bit of this in action already with the AT&T / Verizon responses to T-Mobile's efforts to shake up the supply curve and capture more of the lower cost demand curve. If you want to keep pushing on the major players, keep talking up the MVNO's and so forth to show more people alternative options to the big boys.

20. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Don't purchase DATA, use WiFi.

21. 617aircav Suspended

Go to T-Mobile or manage what you have. On cricket you can get 10gb for $55 or 15gb for $105 etc.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Carriers won't let you do that.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's why i'm currently with T-Mobile. Though I am fortunate that they cover my area well enough. Quite a few people don't have that luxury.

Make no mistake though: T-Mobile is a profit-driven business just like all the others. They are doing what they're doing right now solely because it suits them to do this.I wish them much success in getting closer and closer in subscriber numbers to the Top Two, but at the same time I do worry that they'll become just as greedy, should that ever happen.

The problem is, this is what the market will bear. There aren't many nationwide networks that cover the US as well as Verizon and AT&T do. So if you're just outside of a dense urban area, or travel outside of that area a lot, then you're basically screwed.

----------

Not thinking ahead. You are the perfect model customer that Verizon and AT&T want. Good job!

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Stop paying a premium to finance your mobile phones via subsidizing with carriers.

Buy unlocked. Straighttalk, Cricket, etc etc on same ATT towers.

25. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

What's funny is good ole AT&T seems to be pushing just that: no contracts.

On my current family plan, we buy data and then add phones at $40/pop. Unless you're out of contract, then its $15/each. That's a $25 dollar saving per line.

Traditional way:
    iPhone .............. .. ......$649
    Subsidy.......................$450
    I pay out of pocket......$199

But if I don't use a new contract:
    iPhone. ......................$649
    $25 x 24 months..........$600
    Out of pocket................$50

So AT&T is encouraging those that can do math to save $150, and get their phones off contract instead.

If go with a cheaper carrier if their service was worth a damn. But after helping 2 friends get hooked up to straight talk, and seeing the non-urban coverage of Tmo, I'm sticking with AT&fT.