Is There Anything We Could Do To Get Rid Of Palin in the Future?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

What's the most reasonable way if 1) McCain wins and 2) he dies shortly after entering office and Palin is president.

I would be genuinely scared of that prospect. Is there anything that would be done to kick her out asap, or would we just have to wait 4 years?

Man. I wish he had a parliament type system. :D

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

As the constitution is set up, the only way a President is removed from office is:

1) death
    2) resignation
    3) impeachment (which can only result from a criminal act).

So yes, there is something we can do: raise such hell that she resigns, or catch her in the act of doing something illegal.

Neither is remotely likely to succeed, which is why it tends to not happen.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Plus half of Congress is still republican meaning she could be liar,a war monger,attack the constitution and destroy the economy,torture and be a total failure like Bush and we would still be stuck with her.

It still amazes me that the republicans have put party before country and the Constitution with Bush. He has clearly broken his oath of office many times.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If that scenario actually does happen. Which I doubt will. I believe the senate will have close to a 60 seat democratic majority. They will find something I can guarantee that.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Me? I stand by what I said. Nixon resigned because he was caught doing something illegal. Another president theoretically might resign if a poll showed that 90% of the country wants them to do so and the political pressure on them is enormous.

What's wrong with saying that?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm not sure the US would have that level of polarization, using the last 8 years as a guide.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that wasnt directed to you, just in general. last thing you want is the secret service thinking you are posing a threat

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Would that you could convict the entire Republican party leadership, starting with McCain and Palin, under the federal RICO laws.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Dreamer.

George has the pens ready for the Presidential Pardons.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Oh, in that case. I totally agree. Very good advice.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She can run if she wants. This is the United States. To even suggest that we have to "get rid of her" is completely against what this country stands for. If you don't like her, then don't vote for her.

13. JLatte macrumors 6502

Maybe you could just move out of the country if you're so scared. I for one wouldn't miss you. I find the topics you post to be ludicrous at best.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Now there's a constructive comment. "I don't like what you say so why don't you move to another country."

Do you have any idea how you sound?

15. JLatte macrumors 6502

I absolutely do. I sound like I'm telling him to move to another country if he's so afraid of the possible McCain presidency because I don't like his whiny and arrogant views. Not much to interpret there, is there a problem understanding what I wrote?

Frankly I think our freedom of speech is far too free. We say what we want against the government with absolutely no consequences to our words. Other countries would have you jailed, or kidnapped and beaten for such comments. It's a great thing that I'm not running for 'president'.

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The United States isn't an "other country".

In an "other country" you couldn't run for president.;)

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, I don't think you know how you sound. That's a pretty un-American argument you're making there.

18. JLatte macrumors 6502

heh... this is very true. Just for clarification, when I say president I really mean tyrant.

19. jplan2008 macrumors regular

If we our freedom of speech is "far too free," what do you propose the consequences be for speaking out? Jail, kidnapping, beatings, all of the above?

Many countries have opposition newspapers, if not other media. I'm not talking about the small amount of "alternative" media we have here, but media that calls for the ouster or worse of their leaders. The owner of a newspaper in Venezuela took part in the US-backed coup attempt, for which he should have been jailed, and wasn't, and still has his newspaper.

We have the most freedom of the press, here, but we don't use it -- the press isn't government-controlled here, it's corporate-controlled. There's no effective difference. (I know you're talking about freedom of speech, not press, but they are related, IMO)

This thread isn't taking a stance "against the government," it's wondering about the process of ousting a president if she proves unable to serve in her post. There are plenty of patriotic, knowledgeable, concerned citizens who are worried about her being incapable of serving. Take a look at the newspaper endorsements of Obama that all mention Palin's lack of qualification as a factor. There are Bush officials who have said that McCain has put the country in danger by his nomination. Are they "against the government," or legitimately concerned? Are they "whiny and arrogant," or worried about our future? Has Palin shown, without scripts and talking points, that she understands anything about the economy, international relations, government, the constitution? Has she shown that she can solve a complicated problem? Has she shown she would know who to turn to for advice, other than "the first dude?"

20. JLatte macrumors 6502

Yes, it is. I don't like the label 'American'. I don't like the country we have become as citizens and how we're perceived by other countries. I don't like the direction our government as a whole has gone (and I'm not just talking about Bush) as a result of what we, the American people view as significant issues that need to be addressed in the government. I fully believe in all of our freedoms, as long as they aren't abused, and over the many years they have.

If I were running for president, I wouldn't go to Washington to 'shake things up'. I'd put on an iron glove and go boxing. It's too bad we can't elect Putin.

21. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

we've caught bush is so many illegal activities and somehow he manages to stick around.......

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. What in the world would have been the reaction in this forum if the word Palin had been Obama? There would have been much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

23. jplan2008 macrumors regular

The direction of the government is not because of the real views of the citizens -- the majority of citizens, on most issues, are more progressive than Obama's positions. The direction of the government is because voices aren't heard, the media distorts issues, and very few issues are even on the table for discussion or a vote. Abolishing our freedoms even more than they've been weakened would only make it worse.

It is pretty normal to look for a more authoritarian leader in times of crisis and despair. That's how fascism has succeeded throughout history.

24. JLatte macrumors 6502

If I were nice? I would allow them a warning, on second through fourth offense jail for 6 months, on fifth offense I would expel them from the country*. The goal is that a lot of people people will want to speak out against the government. Upon doing so I would give those that did not know a fair chance by warning them. Afterwards, I would continue to 'jail' them for 6 months at a time, a maximum of four times (or two years total).

*Actually upon further thought I'm not sure where I would send them. I would like to revert the expulsion to either lifetime servitude towards my industrial growth or lifetime military service, or public execution. Their choice. While the public execution sounds cruel and unjustified, it does require five deliberate acts against my government. A person that is willing to go this route might find the public execution as a good choice as it gives them the appearance as a martyr for the cause. My benefit is that it instills fear among the people.

During this time I will take into account that there will not be enough prison cells, which is why they will be serving time outdoors. Any prisoners will spend their time doing labor work. My jobs will require the reconstruction of freeways, an effective large scale rail system for faster transportation of goods, and work building up my military. Any resistance during this imprisonment will result in being shot in large toe of their choosing, so as not to disable the ability to continue working while imprisoned. Violent resistance will be met by being shot anywhere possible if the toe is not a reasonable target.

Since I anticipate a lot of freedom speech abusers, I hope to build up a large scale working force that can create plentiful jobs for people that wish to be outdoor prison guards, all while getting a lot of much needed work done on my country's infrastructure. Eventually when my military strength builds up, I will put them to work in mass producing military factories.

Is that detailed enough about what I view as reasonable consequences? :)

I as well do not believe that Palin counts as qualified. Not believing one is qualified is a far cry from inquiring how we could oust Palin should McCain win and die and Palin becomes president. For the record, just because one is a Democrat or a Republican does not mean they are whiny and arrogant. I posted that with a more direct intention towards the OP. His track record of posts created are more to get a rise than anything constructive.

25. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Well excuse me for having an opinion.

You don't find the thought of Palin being President scary as hell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.