Is there anyway to clean the PowerSupport film?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bacong, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

I was applying one to my phone and I kept getting dust underneath it (it's insane how easily and quickly it happens) so is there a way for me to clean all the dust off of it and go again?

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I had the same problem when I applyed my first two of those. Couldn't clean them, ended up buying a new one but now I don't use one, don't find a need on the 3G.

The 3GS seems to be a differen story though.

3. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Don't bother. I tried that and the tape left residue marks. I had to throw away that piece (thank god for 2)

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apply the film in a dust-free environment? :D

Attached Files:

5. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I've only had my film on for a week and find it incredibly frustrating at how quickly dust will accumulate around the edges and eventually slip underneath.

I'm using a case that covers the bezel so I'm going to try using a thin piece of tape to cover the gap between the chrome and the PS film. Pre-emptive prevention/protection...

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Is it a PS Crystal film? I just installed mine yesterday and I notice a bit of dust as well (not underneath the screen though). I don't know if there's actually more dust or if it's just more noticeable because of the crystal screen protector (vs. the Anti-Glare I previously used). I wish someone would come out with an oleophobic, crystal screen protector - that would seem to be the best of all worlds. Power Support - are you listening?

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

take a shower

and put it on after the shower steam settles the dust. Just don't take your phone in the shower. ;)

8. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68020

Bacong

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Honestly scotch tape really does work well. I have used it a bunch of times and never had problems with residue like the above poster. Takes the dust right off no problems. I have re-used these films a bunch with this method. Just don't touch the film with your fingers.:D

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

You can apply them wet. What I always do is use tape to get the dust, should it happen to leave residue, I just take a small bit of dish soap and put it on my finger, then wet my finger well and rub the underside of the film. Get it wet, but not soaking. After that just squeeze the water out with a credit card and have a paper towel near by to dry up the excess water that comes out.

Basically just lift the film and have a bowl of lightly soapy water nearby. Take your finger and just rub that water on the film from one side to the other in the area that has the dust.

It works perfectly. If I'm not making sense I can try to clarifiy that a bit. I know it sounds extreme but if you simply can't get the dust out, this is a brute force way of getting a clean install.

At first when you lay the screen down it will look like a mess, but as soon as you squeeze that water out it looks great.

11. trssho macrumors 6502

I have been using the power support "matte" protector, and it sucked. Just took it off, and feel like I have 20/20 vision again. Fingerprints are no problem
    for me now, after dealing with that fuzzy plastic piece of crap!

12. calvy macrumors 65816

Which is why I can't understand why anyone wants the "anti-glare" version. I laughed at the apple store sales guy who suggested I get the anti glare when i asked for crystal.

13. musashino macrumors newbie

PowerSupport films are reusable. You can simply clean and dry them, then re-apply. I feel bad that you just threw them away and had to buy another set...

14. javanutsy macrumors newbie

So far I've tried 3 different screen protectors (1 from the Speck Candy Shell, a generic one, a Power Support crystal), and all 3 times, I've had dust get underneath during initial installation...

But what I've found is that all 3 can be washed with liquid hand soap and water and re-applied again. I just rub the liquid hand soap on both sides, and rinse under running water. Carefully shake it a bit to get most of the water off. I'm not concerned that there are still drops of water clinging to the screen.

I just proceed to apply the protector on the screen and wipe it off/squeeze the water out with a micro fiber cloth. Much easier to position, and the small water bubbles are much easier to push out than air bubbles. I'm left with a perfectly installed screen with no dust all 3 times I've tried this method :)

15. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

i dont have a problem with the anti-glare. it works great under sunlight. fingerprints are not an issue with me anymore.

if you're going to go for the crystal, why even put on a protector since the screen hardly scratches anyways..

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Because it scratches.

I have used both the anti-glare and crystal and have found the crystals to be the better choice because of how similar it is to the naked screen. Although the anti-glares don't make the phone unusable, there is a noticable distortion and dulling of colors.

17. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I have the Power Support Anti-Glare protectors on my 3GS and my old 3G (now my wife's) and love them. I HATED how greasy looking the screens would get without them. It took about 2 minutes to get used to the look which isn't all that much different.

S-

18. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Not all tape does that, I've never had that problem with scotch.

19. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

the dulling of colors isnt a problem for me. i like the feel of the screen better than the crystal/naked screen. its smooth to guide fingers across. with something thats not antiglare, sometimes it feels sticky/grippy when using fingers. the iphone screen is scratch-resistance btw.

20. billrobert macrumors newbie