Carrier Is there anyway to get cdma iphone 7 with apple upgrade program and at&t account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by riekl, Sep 15, 2016.

1. riekl macrumors member

I thought the whole point of apple upgrade was the devices are unlocked. Is there no way for me to get a VZW (all carrier) iphone 7 with the upgrade program when i have an at&t account? I was hoping to just pick it up unactivated and then slip in my at&t sim.

2. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

Your in the same boat I am. From what I have been told by multiple people at Apple, you will need to have a Verizon account or a Verizon SIM card that you can put in to the phone to activate it. It will NOT activate with the AT&T SIM card.

Though once you get it activate with Verizon, you can pop out the SIM and input your AT&T one and go about your merry way.

I have a Black 256GB Verizon phone reserved for pick-up tomorrow at 1PM CST. I am going to attempt to see if what they say is true by putting my AT&T SIM in the phone to see if it will activate. That's if they let me try.

I know on a different thread someone had said they were able to do this last year with the AT&T version phone, as it was the 'all carrier' one, they had input their SIM from another carrier.

3. pcmike macrumors 6502

pcmike

If the Verizon phone is truly unlocked it's merely a formality of the retailer requiring a Verizon account or Verizon SIM... likely to just ensure you have a Verizon account (for no good reason), but in reality you should always just put YOUR actual carrier's SIM in the phone before turning it on for the first time. I don't even plan on letting Apple open my box tomorrow.

4. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

They won't let you leave the store with the phone if it is not activated.

5. Meista macrumors newbie

Meista

I ordered a Verizon iPhone but am stationed overseas. I am not sure if I can have my parents send it to me and I activate it with my sim here or what to do.
    I was under the impression I am just buying the phone and Apple is verifying I have a Verizon account.
    not sure if I should send it back or not

6. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

Here is a reply from this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/reserved-att-phone-with-iup-can-use-with-t-mobile.1996588/

"Just came back form Apple Store. I can confirm that with IUP they make you select the carrier that you reserved. I reserved a Verizon I7+ and have T Mobile Service, and when going through the checkout out process, I needed a verizon account. Luckily I was able to snag a T mobile one in store. They wouldnt let me change SIM cards and they had a verizon rep in store stating that specific model has to activate with verizon first and then it can be used for any carrier. Let me know if anyone else had a different outcome."

So looks like a no go if the phone is not on the same account you have with a carrier.

7. pcmike macrumors 6502

pcmike

I had the same experience, but the store manager allowed me to buy the Verizon variant at full price. I still plan on going back and returning it and repurchasing it with a friend's Verizon account information and then giving my friend the activated Verizon SIM for her phone and slipping my T-Mobile SIM into my new phone. For some reason Apple is required to activate Verizon phones on Verizon and then afterwards in their system if you're on IUP the system will unlock the phone for use on any carrier. It definitely has to be because of some Apple/carrier agreement. I emailed Tim Cook to try and get some clarification because it is a major pain in the butt!

8. Meista macrumors newbie

Meista

The Apple rep on the phone told me just to put my sim in once it gets delivered. And it should work

9. Mosi macrumors regular

I had a similar experience. I bought a 6s last year through IUP. It was the Verizon variant but last year it didn't matter. About half way through the year, I moved to T-Mobile. So I reserved a 7+ Verizon to pick up last night. The store would not let me leave the store without activating it on a Verizon line (new or existing). They attempted to sell it as Device only but the system made them charge full price. They understood what I wanted but said the system prevented them from doing it. The Verizon rep in the store said I could activate a new line of service and immediately cancel but they would run my credit. My score is 900 and I wasn't interested in letting Apple and Verizon hard pull my credit back to back. They didn't have the T-Mobile version in stock and I didn't want that phone anyway. Such a pain in the ass. I eventually just bought the phone outright which they let you do WITHOUT activating on a carrier. What is the point of selling an unlocked phone that you are forced to activate on a specific carrier?! An extremely frustrating night.

10. melmar3 macrumors newbie

melmar3

You can if you work at apple like me! They let you iUP without activation!

11. Meista macrumors newbie

Meista

Do they come pre-activated from Apple? I have never preordered a phone sorry for all the questions

12. aka777 macrumors 6502a

This **** should be stamped out by government regulation, as it is in other advanced economies.

13. melmar3 macrumors newbie

melmar3

They are not actived until you sign up with iup

14. Meista macrumors newbie

Meista

Oh ok, so all my parents have to do is send it my way. Easy enough

15. pcmike macrumors 6502

pcmike

Really? 900? And you're worried about a hard pull? What exactly are you saving the high score for? People don't build credit that good just to keep the number and never use it. Besides, anything over 750 is just fine and your score will recover incredibly quick. Don't be scared to use what you worked so hard for!

16. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Why is it that you want a cdma capable phone for ATT. Are you just trying to give your self more options to sale it later? Or are you planning on switching to Verizon or sprint?

17. Mosi macrumors regular

I'm just really cautious because of my job. Last year when joining IUP, the Citizens Bank pull dinged me about 40 points. It's not a big deal but I didn't want two on the same day plus I don't want to have any relationship with Verizon or really any of the carrier which is why I wanted the IUP. I thought that's what I was getting with the IUP.

18. cwosigns macrumors 65832

cwosigns

It definitely looks like that's what they tried to do. However, before I turned on my Verizon iPhone 7 plus, I took out the preinstalled SIM and put in my AT&T SIM There is a screen that looks like you have to have a Verizon account in order to proceed, but I just clicked next and went right through it.

19. Mosi macrumors regular

The issue only impacts people that are already a part of the program and going into the store to process their upgrades. Just more proof that it's not required and customers that are upgrading from the 6s are getting screwed.

20. pcmike macrumors 6502

pcmike

I'm pretty sure two pulls on the same day count as one. In fact when shopping for a car or a mortgage it's recommended you have your credit ran at all the different places in the same week and each one only counts as a single pull if done within the same week.

21. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is absurd. Apple finally got it right with the iPhone 6 and 6s being universal and working on all carriers, and now they screw it up with the 7.

Why are they going backwards?

22. Kahsheh macrumors regular

Was this in store when they were activating?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    So if you are a brand new to IUP it will work? I may do this so wondering what I should tell the apple rep when I come in.

23. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

So they can boast about it on internet forums. They could have very easily told their story without giving the credit score.

24. cwosigns macrumors 65832

cwosigns

It was when I was first turning on the phone and activating with AT&T at my office. I didn't buy it in a store, I pre-ordered online and had it delivered.

25. Kahsheh macrumors regular

I assume you entered a verizon acct. upon preorder?