Is there anyway to get ITV or BBC videos to work on a mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by budge9, Sep 20, 2007.

1. budge9 macrumors member

It's just that it's so frustrating. Thanks a million!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Not yet. The BBC are working on Mac support at the moment. Not sure about ITV.

3. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

4. Queso macrumors G4

Unfortunately this is one area where Apple's stubbornness has led to their users being locked out of services. This market was theirs for the taking, all they had to do was allow companies using Quicktime Streaming Server to deliver content with FairPlay DRM. However, as they refused to allow any other organisation to use FairPlay, the only viable solution out there for content providers was Windows Media.

I'm hoping the EU's court decision yesterday against Microsoft will see Windows DRM becoming available on other platforms, which is the only way we're going to see ITV, Sky and 4od shows playing on a Mac. Don't hold your breath though. Microsoft aren't even allowing the people behind Flip4Mac to see the code, so there's no way they're going to open it up.

Only for their news and radio content. Everything else is currently Windows DRM encoded and delivered via the XP-only iPlayer.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you mean for just general streaming of clips from their sites (like on BBC news), or download services like the BBC's iPlayer?

6. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Well thankfully the iPlayer is still under trial and as you can read on various websites the BBC trust will not give it the go ahead until it works on multiple platforms. This means it will work on Mac os X and Linux.

Link here

7. budge9 thread starter macrumors member

Well I was actually thinking more about clips from itv catch up. With leopard now enabling you to run windows do you thik this will allow us to watch the video clips??

8. Queso macrumors G4

OSX yes. Linux will be more of a challenge. It's likely that Adobe's DRM built into Apollo will feature, although unfortunately that would make it x86 Linux only as Adobe currently do with Linux Flash.

And remember that iPlayer is only the BBC's effort. The other UK broadcasters, plus DRM-based Internet streams such as football commentaries will still be unavailable to Mac users :mad:

9. weckart macrumors 68040

Beg pardon? :confused: Leopard and Windows are different OSes. You still need Bootcamp + XP/Vista; Parallels with Windows of choice or CrossOver (unlikely to work with DRM or streaming video). Leopard will have Bootcamp included instead of downloading separately, but you will still need to install Windows separately.

10. budge9 thread starter macrumors member

Yes that's what I mean. But will it work if I install windows on leopard? Thanks.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Until the beeb make iPlayer work on OSX I'm sure lots of people will use the very efficient UKNova.