Is there anyway to have 2 Accounts or usernames on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Jan 2, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Going to be purchasing the new iPad when it drops but was curious about this. I assume you can't as it's not a PC but thought I'd ask, can you have 2 accounts?

Not to excited about having all my websites cookies enabled and logged in to forums, email, etc while others would want to use it say a friend or my little nephew. Can I make a separate account for there own use?

2. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Unfortunately not. This is one of the most sought-after features, and perhaps it will be added in the next iOS revision.

3. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah -- I mean you would want to make a few accounts if more than one person in your family wants to use the thing. That's a bummer.

4. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Nope.

Apple thinks that you should buy a $500, $600 etc iPad for every member of your family.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

If you're paranoid enough about it, use one of the third party browsers with private mode. Or hope that iPads become more commonplace and you won't run into this issue.

6. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

For browsing you could use a secondary browser like icab or atomic and password protect it. The downside is that unless you jailbreak safari is still the default and if you use MobileMe you can only sync bookmarks to it.

7. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

You can only password protect it or use another browser like terra that has password protection

8. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Like anything else there are advantages and disadvantage to a "feature" like this. It will be interesting to see if it does appear on the next model.

9. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

I'll try to keep an open mind, but I don't see any disadvantages to multiple user accounts. If you don't want it, don't make one.

10. CuppyCake macrumors member

CuppyCake

Is there anyway to have 2 Accounts or username on the iPad?

Apple did this to ensure sales with the iPad, iPhone and iTunes. Apple does not want you to sure contect of any kind. There demand has increased. :(

11. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Yep, Apple is against sure contect.

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I agree!

One way I have found to keep others away from my web browsing activities when i let them play on my iPad is I have a second browser installed ( iCab ).

The browser is buried in a folder so others cannot find it, and I never use Safari.

Of course I only let one or two others have at my iPad and it's always within reach. I 'share' it when we play SCRABBLE on the thing.

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Are you insane!!!??? :eek:
    Once you provide an option to share it, you'll loose it forever!!! :mad:
    Better save up to buy a second one.;)

14. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Yeah, all those apps that I bought over the last few years for my iPhone that I can;t just install on our (actually my wife's ;) ) iPad. Oh wait. I do that all the time.

Oh, and all the burned Cds that I can;t install on the iPad or see from several otehr cmputers in my house. Oh wait. I do that all the time.

And all the videos and music we bought off the iTunes store that can't be used on several devices. Oh wait. I do that all the time.

Apple may be resrtictive in some ways of the content you can use, but they are far from against sharing content of any kind.