Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norcalstadium

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
I used to have a Dell, and when I was using iTunes, I could actually shut my laptop, and the music would continue to play. With my MacBook Pro, however, the music always stops when I shut my screen, and because my iPod recently broke, the only way I can listen to music on an airplane, for example, is to keep my computer out with the screen open.
Any tips?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
No, when a laptop is closed without being hooked up to an external display and keyboard/mouse, it will go to sleep. I'm not aware of any way to force it to stay awake when the latch is engaged outside of having it connected to external peripherals.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
No, when a laptop is closed without being hooked up to an external display and keyboard/mouse, it will go to sleep. I'm not aware of any way to force it to stay awake when the latch is engaged outside of having it connected to external peripherals.

Ta da!

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Google insomniax. That program allows you to close the lid without putting the computer to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.