Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
My kids always come over to my computer and drag icons off my dock and its getting rather annoying. Is there any app or setting that will make you type in a pw to do this?? Seems you can lock down just about everything but this.

crjackson

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
VoodooDaddy said:
My kids always come over to my computer and drag icons off my dock and its getting rather annoying. Is there any app or setting that will make you type in a pw to do this?? Seems you can lock down just about everything but this.

I ran across this as well, which will be helpful for the business i work for.

[SystemDisk]->Users->[User]->Library->Preferences->com.apple.dock.plist (getinfo->lock it)

you can still drag the icons off, but when you logout/in they reappear in their proper spots. This is useful for my needs, hope it helps you!

also, I just found this, might be useful to you if you need it for a regular account (not administrator)

""""Sys Prefs --> Accounts --> + --> Enter Details in --> Parental controls --> Configure --> Some Limits --> Tick All But Modify Dock.

This Will Prevent the dock being modified Only with that user""""

cJ

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
crjackson said:
I ran across this as well, which will be helpful for the business i work for.

[SystemDisk]->Users->[User]->Library->Preferences->com.apple.dock.plist (getinfo->lock it)

you can still drag the icons off, but when you logout/in they reappear in their proper spots. This is useful for my needs, hope it helps you!

also, I just found this, might be useful to you if you need it for a regular account (not administrator)

""""Sys Prefs --> Accounts --> + --> Enter Details in --> Parental controls --> Configure --> Some Limits --> Tick All But Modify Dock.

This Will Prevent the dock being modified Only with that user""""

cJ

wow, that is awesome! thanks a million.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.