Is there anyway to pick up a Unibody Macbook PRO for $900 or less?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wikoogle, Mar 2, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I guess I'm hoping to hear from anyone here who bought a refurb MBP for very cheap, where they bought the laptop from.

One of my friends in the USA is up for a new laptop. I've convinced him that Macbook Pro would be worth it if he can get one for his budget (~$900).

He is willing to wait until the i5 MBP's release (even if it means a few months wait) if it means that he can pick up a refurb or new C2D 13" MBP for $900 or less (his max budget).

Doesn't mind if it's refurbished as long as it looks new, is a unibody design and is covered by warranty. He is only interested in the Pro's though.

So where should I tell him to look for a price like that on the laptop?

Apple Refurb Store?
    One of the Non-Apple Refurb stores that are often advertized on this site?
    Amazon/Best Buy?
    Craigslist/Ebay?

Any suggestions?

Is it just wishful thinking to try to get a C2D at that price even right when the i5's come out and makes all the C2D's seem outdated?

Also, is there only a narrow window of opportunity after the i5's come out that he will be able to get one at that price after which they will all go out of stock, or will he be able to pick one up for cheap without rushing?

Thanks for your help.

2. dont24 macrumors regular

I'll assume you're talking about the current entry level 13" MBP? Craigslist/Ebay is the only hope. Apple refurbs are $999 + tax. Bestbuy sells at retail, $1199.
    Even the ebay prices seem high. Not that much cheaper than a refurb'd.

3. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I see all these ads for non Apple refurb stores for MBP's on this site (macrumors). I wasn't sure if any of those stores offer better prices than Apple.com.

Yeah, I already told him that his only shot is with the 13" incher. Ebay prices seem pretty high actually. And would ebay/craigslist purchases still be covered by the remaining time on Applecare?

Isn't the $999 price only at the official Apple Refurb Store.

Might he be able to get a better deal at Amazon or some non-Apple Refurbished store, right when the i5's come out?

Would that laptop from a non Apple.com refurb store still be covered by Apple care?

4. dont24 macrumors regular

Sorry. Didn't read your post correctly. The current ones will be discounted, when sold along side the new ones. By how much? No one knows. What about the current refurb's for $999. Will they be even lower? Again, not sure if anyone knows the answer. Pure speculation. The current ones may be discounted to $999. That's if the i5's are at the same $1199 price point. I suspect Apple will price the old hardware accordingly, to clear them out. I wouldn't wait too long after the announcement.

5. steamtoy macrumors regular

There's a deal for brand new MB990 on ebay yesterday. Buy it now price $1049.

Combining with 8% bing cashback and 2% ebay bucks, that's 10% saving which makes the final price less than $950

6. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

I bought a NIB MBP 13" base model for my girlfriend about a month and a half ago. On craigslist, for $900. You just have to be willing to meet and buy immediately if a good deal comes along and negotiate on the price without coming across like a lowballing jerk.

Her Rev A Air was showing its age and weakness, so I sold it on craigslist and got $850 for it making the MBP a cheap upgrade indeed. We were planning on getting a refurb of the new white MB, but for almost the same price she liked the aesthetic of the Pro better.

7. dont24 macrumors regular

Still get the 1yr warranty?

8. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

9. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Thanks for all your advice guys. Keep it coming. I told him to keep an eye out for craigslist and ebay, and to type in the serial number in that link you provided. :D

But it would be better if there's an online store he could buy from.

10. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I had one (2.26 GHz) from a guy on craigslist in the net for $800, but he bailed out 20 min before we were supposed to meet. At this point, I'm torn between still looking and waiting for Arrandale.

11. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

12. Claerion macrumors member

I seriously doubt that the apple refurb store will get current MBPs around 900 after the i5's come out that's really cheap.

Just like everyone else is pretty much saying just keep checking craigslist and ebay. BE CAREFUL! And good luck! :)