Is there anyway to recover an unsaved word file?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by loccy92, Jun 16, 2015.

1. loccy92 macrumors newbie

Howdy! Sorry if this is the wrong section, I couldn't find any specific subforum for Office Suite.

Basically, I was working on a letter and my laptop died (problems with the graphics card) and I had no other choice than to do a force reboot. When restarting my macbook, Autorecovery didn't open the document.

I have tried looking at the tempfiles and the word application files in Library but there is no autorecovery files there. I've also noticed that when looking for the autorecovery directory that it doesn't have a destination listed, even though it is enabled.

I have done my research on possible solutions, but have exhausted every possible one with no success, so I'm opening this up to others now. Is there any other options to recovery this letter? It is extremely important that it is recovered word for word.

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

2. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

The only way I can think of, if the Autorecovery couldn't find anything, is if you are using Time Machine and it did create a backup of the temp version located somewhere.

3. loccy92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that :( The last back up was performed one hour before I had started the document. So no luck with that.

Thanks for the help though :)

4. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

5. loccy92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I FOUND IT!

YOU SIR ARE A GODSEND.

The guide on the first link you posted had the answer :)

I cannot thank you enough for this! I also inadvertently came across a resume I wrote 5 years ago. Could have done without seeing how awful a person I was back then haha

6. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Really? Wow! Glad you've found it! I might check it out in case there are some lost documents in there!

Good to know for the future, that's for sure! No worries at all, you're welcome - glad I could help! :).