Is there anywhere I can get a discount on a MBP charger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marc55, Mar 28, 2015.

1. marc55, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I have an early 2013 rMBP, and would like to pick up an extra charger for it.

The Apple charger is $79, but is there any one who offers a discount?

I see a lot of them on the bay, but not sure which ones are genuine.

Thank you

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Doubtful

Not likely if they're genuine, no.

And a power adapter seems like a poor item to go cheap on.

3. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Agree

Does the Apple power adapter come with the extension cord?

4. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

I have never used this website but they list their items as genuine Apple.

http://www.macbookadapter.com/?gclid=CNfa496IzsQCFWRk7AodJk4AsA

5. MacKindaGuy macrumors newbie

Just be careful of those sites guys. Speaking from personal experience- before I bought my spare charger, I went on a similar website who advertises they sell "genuine" macbook pro retina charger.

This was over a year ago so I don't remember the exact website, but it does list the same thing where all the adaptors are listed at 50% the price of genuine adapters. I took a leap of faith and what came in the mail was a adapter body that look very similar to Apple's but it lacked the extension cord, no genuine Apple packaging and the MagSafe connector was a poorly made piece (rough edges) and not even made to the right size (yes. I'm sure its not a MagSafe 1). I was lucky to be able to return it in the end but had to pay shipping. Not worth the hassle at all!

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The item details say that they're all refurbished.

OWC sells genuine chargers in bulk packaging at a small discount.
    Around $15-$20 below Apple's pricing.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple has not licensed its MagSafe charger technology to any other company, so any discounted charger you find is most likely used or a knockoff. I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or power adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. It's not worth it to risk your $2000 MacBook on a non-Apple battery or power adapter, just to save a few bucks.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

8. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Thanks guys. I agree, buying anything that would risk damaging my MBP is not an option.

I never even considered buying anything other than an Apple OEM charger; I don't mind buying a used one, but it must be an Apple OEM.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

powerbookmedic.com and ifixit.com are 2 reputable sites that sell new & used Mac parts including AC Adapters.

Another option is to find someone locally on craigslist and buy from there.