is there anywhere that I can download this and make a bootable thumb drive installer

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Sossity, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I notice the app store only offers the latest OS for free download, which is now Yosemite, but I would like Mavericks as well, but I don't see it in the app store.

I noticed that I tried downloading the mavericks installer once before to my hard drive, but when I go to my applications list, and under the tab of size, there is just a white bar, like when something is being downloaded. All the other installers; Yosemite, and mountain lion appear normally, with their sizes listed.

Did something go wrong with the installer? that is why I am asking where I can download it to see if I can get a clean right download.

I also notice on the launchpad icon on my dock, there is a faint white bar across the lower half, like when there is a download, is this normal?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

did you "buy" Mavericks on the App Store ?

If yes, it should show up in your "Purchased" tab (App Store).

3. Sossity, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is among my purchases, and it had a paused note on it, so I clicked on resume, signed in with my apple id, but got a message that it was temporarily unavailable and try again some other time.

So now my launchpad and in my apps this mavericks download is stuck with a grey progress bar semi permanently on my mac.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

This is what happens after a new OS release (Yosemite).

We have had the same problem when Mavericks was released : Mountain Lion was "temporarily unavailable", then a few weeks later it was available again.

5. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Mavericks is still available in the mac dev center, but only to developers.

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

TIP!: copy the installers/updates to an external HDD/SSD

After having downloaded any release of OSX and/or combo updates copy the installers/updates to an external HDD/SSD in separate (clean) folders .

This way the Mac App Store will never overwrite the release in the folder "applications" with a newer one.

Always handy-candy when having the need to downgrade! :cool:

Cheers.

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried looking at my app store purchases on my laptop running yosemite, and notice by the maveriks the button was to download, and not paused like on my desktop. I did not try to download yet, I have contacted apple support about this through my email, so I will se what they respond with.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you go into your local Apple Store and ask nicely they can put the image Onto a thumb drive for you as they keep local copies.

9. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Further to this tip, DISCONNECT the hdd/ssd before downloading a new one. The mac app store detects old downloads wherever they may be on your system and may overwrite it - even if it is on an external hdd or ssd!

I go even further than that and burn them to bluray. Twice!

You may not have to go to that extreme. But I do it just in case I forget to disconnect.

I learned the hard way. I once downloaded one without disconnecting and it overwrote an old one on the external hdd. Luckily I was able to get it back from a time machine backup, but that won't always work.

10. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Oke, never heard of MAS searching so deep into your system, as for external devices too! Would MAS update all like says 1000 copys of an OSX release on a external HDD/SSD????

Thanks for the heads up!

11. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

No. It won't update all of them, but it may update 1 of them.

The expectation is that when you download a full installer it goes into your applications folder by default. But that is not necessarily so. It may replace one on your external drive with a newer one - without warning!

So best to disconnect it to thwart this.

12. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Before trying again …

With Finder: if you see a partly downloaded installer at
    /Applications
    then whilst it's paused in App Store, use Finder to trash the incomplete item.

Then restart OS X.

Then, do try again some other time.

13. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Thanks for your insights! Cheers

14. Butchie-T macrumors regular

If you ever find it, please let me know

I find myself in the same predicament. I wanted to create a USB Mavericks Boot Disk and have tried to find a full blown copy of 10.9.5 installer but cannot get it anywhere.
    I have opened an AppleCare case and that went nowhere. So I called my local Apple Retail store and they would not accommodate my request either. They ended up referring me back to AppleCare.

While I understand the App Store not wanting to offer Mavericks any longer, there is no good reason why it cannot be made available to those that would like to have a copy of the installer so they can make external boot drives if they would wish to.

15. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

What OSX release was originally installed on your Mac?

16. Butchie-T macrumors regular

Mavericks 10.9.4 is my original install OS

17. ZipZilla macrumors regular

18. Butchie-T, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

Butchie-T macrumors regular