Is there connector/cables for connecting battery direct to MagSafe Power Port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ALERT, May 3, 2009.

1. ALERT macrumors newbie

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There isn't and probably never will be a product for the problem you describe.

The solution you posted acts as a battery charger, so it effectively eliminates the need to have a spare macbook pro laying around to charge the extra battery.

Magsafe is 100% proprietary (and for good reason) which is why you don't see third party chargers out. Some concoctions involve removing the magsafe adapter and splicing it onto a different product but I don't see one designed for attatching a battery directly to magsafe.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ohh burn..syke.

Did you really read the post?

Op wants to connect a (what I assume to be) oem apple battery to magsafe, not some random third party battery to magsafe.

5. ALERT thread starter macrumors newbie

3rd Party External Battery for MB/MBP/MBA/iphone

Thanks for the info. Looks like an allternative to buying an extra rechageable battery.

Hope to see some reviews from reliable sources/press/users. It'll only be shipped somewhere end of May.

Edit: http://www.macworld.com/article/140394/2009/05/hypermac.html

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There are 'direct-attach' battery chargers as you have spotted, but also as you have spotted, none for the latest Macs. This is something I'd really appreciate for the Macbook.

The HyperMac is a better option since you can charge it outside the unit - but it does add unwieldiness.

7. ALERT thread starter macrumors newbie

External battery for MacBook by Battery Geek Inc.

Another external battery for all portable Macs.

From Battery Geek Inc. Severl options available but the drawbacks:

pricey, larger and heavier as compared to HyperMac.

http://www.batterygeek.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=78

8. ALERT thread starter macrumors newbie

Reading the specifications of the HyperMac. It was stated that the time "indicates hours of wireless productivity obtained from a fully charged HyperMac and MacBook."

For MBP (Unibody)
    If battery life is calculated based on Apple's claim of their MBP battery lasts for approx 5hr per charge. Then it would mean the HyperMac (60Wh) has 6hrs of battery life. Using both batteries together would give total of 11hrs of battery life.

My point here is the battery life of the HyperMac(60Wh) is only 1 hr more than Apple's OEM rechargeable battery. So is it really worth to get the HyperMac? :confused:

I guess if you wanna save the hassle of powering down your Mac, opening the battery compartment and change battery. Then HyperMac would be a good alternative. :rolleyes:

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

If you have the 13 or 15", then yes you could just power down and swap.
    If you're on the air or the 17" unibody, you can't swap the battery (without tools) so this would be a good option.

If you look on the manufacturer's page for the HyperMac that i posted a few days ago, there are 4 options (up to a 222Wh battery) that would get up to 27 hours of life with the internal and external on your 15" unibody.