iPad mini Is there going to be a new set of iPads released this year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Appl3FTW, Apr 12, 2014.

?

Are you going to buy an iPad rMini with touchID?

1. Yes, absolutely no questions asked

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Not interested at all

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Wait for the redesign on the rMini

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. I'm happy with rMini now

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

rumors say that iPad line will get the touchID treatment this year.

iPad Air- same form factor, with touchID
    iPad retina mini- same form factor, with touchID

If they do, are you guys buying the iPad rMini with touchID? or wait for the next cycle with a complete redesign and touchID?

2. easy-peasy macrumors regular

You are asking a question that no one has the true answer to.

Anyone who responds that they know what Apple is going to do in the future is simply making assumptions based on past experience.

As for touch ID, I would assume that Apple will include it on their new iPads this fall in order to have consistency across their product lines.

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

it's a general question so i think it is valid.

4. easy-peasy macrumors regular

I didn't say you couldn't ask it. Just that you are asking for an absolute answer when no one here has it.

It's like asking if Apple will release both a 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhones this year. No one knows for sure and anyone who talks like they do is lying.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

TouchID is irrelevant to my next purchase. If the next set of iPad's get 2GB of ram then it's a buy, with or without TouchID as that's similar to Siri, a feature I rarely use.

6. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

why do people make something simple so complicated, sheesh.. if it doesn't pertain to you move along to the next one.

LULZ

anyways, good point rodster. i was just wondering how people think of touchID coming over.

7. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well I just bought an iPad Air under a month ago. I love it. Of course the next version will most likely be awesome and possibly have Touch I.D and maybe even more ram but I'm not such a tech slave that I have to have the latest and greatest because there will always be something about that latest and greatest model that will leave you wanting for more. I use this iPad for business purposes and it suits my needs wholeharedtely. So yes, I would certainly like to have the Touch I.D but I have zero intention of giving up my current Air unless I have to get a warranty exchange and then I may ask to pay the difference for the latest model as I have so in the past.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

TouchID can be a useful feature for someone who uses their iDevice in public or maybe for parents who might want to restrict access to their kids. It undoubtedly will be useful but for many I suppose it will be a feature similar to Siri.

9. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

can you do this? exchange it while still under warranty and just pay the difference to upgrade for the latest device? hmm i've never heard of this.

10. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well it always depends on the situation. If the model is older or taken out of circulation or closer to the end the warranty then it's possible depending on the management and the situation of your defective Apple product, but yes, I've had this work out for me a few times. Apple is usually happy to get your money,they just don't commonly replace your defective product with the latest model without paying extra unless they no longer have warranty replacements of the exact defective model.

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

The actual question you asked in your post is fine. The question you asked in your subject line is the one that initiates skepticism, since it is an unanswerable one. Just wondering why you didn't ask your actual question there as well?

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I think that Apple will continue to to refresh their tablet line for quite a few years down the road. I don't think that the new ones will have Touch ID though, as this years ones did not. I think Apple wants to keep it an "exclusive" feature so they can call it unique or something like that

13. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I hope they do, i collect iphones so i hope they do make it exclusive for the iphone line.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why is this poll asking if we will buy a rMini? Isn't the question whether or not we will buy an iPad with TouchID, whether it's an Air or a Mini?

My answer is, TouchID won't be relevant to my decision in buying the next gen iPad. If the next iPad has some other feature(s) that interest me, I'd consider getting one, but TouchID, I'd probably use it if it was there, but it's not a must-have feature.

15. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of my iPads and get a high capacity retina mini.

16. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

17. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Nope, I'm going to stick with my rMini for however long it lasts me. I don't need a new iPad/iPhone/MacBook every time one comes out. The only device that I'll be getting new every two years is the iPhone, everything else, I'm going to make them last. Besides, the rMini that I have now is perfect just the way it is. No need for a touch ID for me.

18. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

While having TouchID would be convenient, it's not a big selling point for me. What would entice me to upgrade is a 256GB model. :rolleyes:

19. aluren macrumors 65816

I probably won't upgrade. The current rMini has exactly what I wanted - fast CPU and retina display.

20. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

i feel the same way, the rMini is perfect.. but knowing that i'm a techie, i need to suppress the urge of buying the best one that's out. aaarrghh.

21. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I'll call Steve Jobs and ask. I'll get back to you.

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Good luck.

23. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

I'm not touching another iPad, until it gets more RAM.

24. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yeah I feel the same way. I was tempted to purchase another rMini and decided to wait for the announcement later this year.

25. Investor27 macrumors regular

I feel the same way. I have the original iPad mini and the new iPad mini retina. I want to replace my iPad mini with the iPad Air 2, but I wanted to wait for 2 GB of RAM. However, I don't think that we are getting 2 GB of RAM if those rumors from the trusted Chinese analyst are true, and his rumors are almost always spot on.

He stated that the next iPhone 6 will only have 1 GB of RAM, but it will be one with more bandwidth than the 1 GB of RAM in the iPhone 5. So if that's true, then the next iPad Air 2 will not have, nor may not need 2 GB of RAM, just the 1 with the larger bandwidth. I may just get it, because I just can't stand how slow and the non-retina display in my iPad mini at the moment.