Is there much crack software available on Mac OS? I ask to stop my son downloading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

danstephen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2010
I am buying a Macbook Pro for my son... but I am worried he can still download cracked software.

He is after a software called Traktor Scratch Pro for DJing, he has got in trouble before for cracked programs.

I am just wandering if cracked software is less available with the mac & in particular whether the above program is available cracked for mac?

Is there any kind of software I can install to block cracks? :confused:

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
Cracked software is also rampant on the mac platform as well, not as much as windows though because of the smaller selection of software. You can find a crack for any software program whether its on windows or mac.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
wander the wonder

There is also cracked software available for Mac OS X or serial number collections. If your son knows how to find cracked for Windows, he surely will find places to obtain software he has no license for.

And no, there is no software to block cracks.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Hey heres a crazy idea, discipline your kid and take the stuff away and dont reward him by getting a new computer.

dacuba

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
In stead of buying an overpriced Mac you could buy a cheap ass Windows laptop and buy the Traktor Pro package with the current discount (449$ if i'm not mistaken). Problem solved.

If he really wants the Scratch package to hook up his turntables / CDJ's you'll have to pay 100$ extra.

noobinator

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
LOL
The OP is obviously fishing for info to see if he/she can get cracks when he/she purchases a Mac. Why mention a specific program?

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
lmao at this post. Yeah, your kid, right. OMG, this is too funny.

If you can afford a MBP, you can afford to buy the programs you're going to use. Total fail on the concocted story.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
http://www.ubuntu.com/

try ubuntu linux. No need to pirate software b\c all the software is open source aka free lol

you can install it on the pc, which it sounds like you already own

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you can afford a MBP, you can afford to buy the programs you're going to use. Total fail on the concocted story.
That's not true; you may be able to buy say a $2000 MacBook Pro, but not everyone can afford the say $1900 for CS5 Design Premium on top of that. That's the kind of software most people pirate.

pyroza

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
408/310
I'm wondering how he got in trouble for "cracked software." I've never heard of a company going after a person because they pirated software. Music and movies, yes. But not software

ranguvar

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2009
You're not gonna stop your kid from pirating. Don't fuss with parent controls or third-party software, your son will figure out how to circumvent your barriers. Talk to him about morals, make him read good books, eventually he'll understand, trying to block is nothing but a huge waste of time for you and him.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
did you start this thread just to get bashed or was there a legitimate question haha. Don't buy you kid a band new mbp? buy him a 300 dell and be done. Then, take it away from him when he pirates software..

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
To answer your loaded question:

Yes you can pirate traktor scratch. Pirating of any audio software is common on OS X.

Better off going to a forum that you can ask about piracy rather than posing a strangely worded question on this one.

On the other hand, if this is a genuine question, just don't give him the admin password and he won't be able to install any software.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I'm wondering how he got in trouble for "cracked software." I've never heard of a company going after a person because they pirated software. Music and movies, yes. But not software
If you own a business, you've likely heard of the BSA conducting raids and audits of corporate software.

For the average user, not really worth it for the BSA to do anything to ya.

If you own a business, and have 1 employee, legit software is less expensive -- fire that 1 employee or piss them off and they get a cash incentive to turn you in for pirated software.

ramzhh

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
I am buying a Macbook Pro for my son... but I am worried he can still download cracked software.

He is after a software called Traktor Scratch Pro for DJing, he has got in trouble before for cracked programs.

I am just wandering if cracked software is less available with the mac & in particular whether the above program is available cracked for mac?

Is there any kind of software I can install to block cracks? :confused:
To block cracks? You should talk to your son not to get into those drugs, set a bar for the max. drug use - Mary J being the maximum.

Oh, you're talking about tech. That's different. There probably is that program cracked somewhere in the Web and he'll probably find it. How old is he?

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
LOL
The OP is obviously fishing for info to see if he/she can get cracks when he/she purchases a Mac. Why mention a specific program?
Haha, yup. This thread should be closed. The OP is a kid who wants to know if he can obtain illegal software. Nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.