Is there no way to use Find My iPhone in iOS 4.2.x?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TitanTiger, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

My dad lost his iPhone 4 today. He hadn't upgraded to iOS 6 yet so he doesn't have iCloud. We had set up Find My iPhone on it back when he first got it and we were able to track it, but now it seems everything is funneled through iCloud. Is there no way to use Find My iPhone anymore without iCloud?

2. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Nope....my second gen iPod touch used to work with find my iPhone when I had mobile me. But when things moved to iCloud, this was disabled...disappointing but it's the case.

3. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

I knew they wanted everyone to move to iCloud and I've been trying to get together with him to do the upgrade to iOS6, but I had no idea they made Find My iPhone unusable without it. Dammit.

4. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Yep....my iPod touch was unable to be upgraded past iOS 4.....but your dad's iPhone 4 could have been, so it's really unfortunate.

5. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, tentative good news...i called the phone again and a lady answered and is going to meet up with my dad tomorrow to give it to him. Gave me her name and cell phone number and where she works.

I say tentative because you never know until you get the phone back in your hands, but amazingly she answered and seemed nice.

If you are a praying person, send one up that everyone pans out on this.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you got lucky.
    Most of the times you will never see it again.