Is there SERIOUSLY no way to search through email message text?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

In the iOS Mail application, I can't see a way to search through the body of messages. You know, one of the few practical ways to search through your emails. Please tell me it's just hidden? I can't even imagine someone leaving this "feature" (necessity) out. If there really is no solution to this, and there's anyone else who agrees with me that we need it, please share it with Apple @ http://www.apple.com/feedback/

2. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

scroll up while in inbox and use the search box on top?....

3. chakraj, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

4. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Maybe you should read my post again... :p

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Maybe you should learn to articulate better. :rolleyes:

6. urkel macrumors 68030

Apple doesn't offer that feature, therefore you will be ridiculed for asking for it. Unfortunately, That's just the way things work out here.

7. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Just another example of apple being way too stubborn. Add a search and a mark all read button. Let's get into the 2000s.

8. Hamiltonian macrumors member

Uhhh... Rocko1's tip works fine on my iPhone - scroll up to the search box select "All". Did you test it properly?

9. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

You can't from within the individual message, though go into the inbox, and tap the top of the screen the search box appears. Put in the term and select "All".

Though it sometimes takes about 30 sec to do a search, and only shows which messages contain the term, it doesn't high-light the search term within the results.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't understand all this. Rocko1 already posted the solution. OP if it's not what you need post why.

This.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Doesn't work for me. I think All means that it will search the From, To and Subject fields. (i.e. "all of them").

12. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Holy moly... That's correct. It works. I thought by "All" it meant Subject + To + From.

I honestly apologize! And I thank you all for the help.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmm, wonder why yours works?

On my iPhone, I got the email notification that you replied to this thread.

When I search "All" for MacRumors, it finds the email (as MacRumors is in the from field).

When I search "All" for a word that's in the actual email body (like "subscribed"), it returns no hits.

Weird.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      115.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

YES! See, I'm not going crazy! I was perplexed when it somehow worked for me in my last post. I'm gonna try more times to see if I can get it to not work for me again.

edit: What email "provider" do you use? I'm using iCloud, now. Maybe that has something to do with it.

15. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Idk what those previous posters are talking about; Searching "All" only searches "To", "From", and "Subject".

It's been like that way for me since I've had an iPhone 3G. It definitely doesn't search the message body of emails.

I've tested using Apple's Gmail integration and Gmail thru Exchange.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

gmail (via the default iPhone connection method, which I think is IMAP?) and also an Exchange account (for where I work).

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yeah, doesn't search the body of any of my emails....gmail, me.com and msn.

18. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

yeah I was hoping for that feature cause I use it a lot on my Mac. I'm guessing its not available because you might have different email accounts.

19. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I agree it would be nice to do a search within an individual message. Especially long messages with tons of history. Be nice to hold your finger down and get a option in the select|select all menu for search.

20. Hamiltonian macrumors member

Searching for "subscribed" using "All" finds all my MacRumors emails. The key is that the search is case-sensitive unfortunately. Update to a lowercase s and tell us what happens.

21. JAT macrumors 603

Hmm. I searched my Exchange emails for an acronym that shows up in many of them, "PCC". But I typed in "Pcc", and it found all emails whether in the subject or body. Tried some other things, and it found in the body of emails.

But I searched my Gmail emails for "ACM", which is in the body of several messages, and it found none of them. Similar for Yahoo.

So, at least for me, capitalization did not matter. Email server does.

It's a little bizarre. At work, Outlook seems to search my email less well than the iPhone. It constantly gives me results that do not match my search, I can't even find something similar.

22. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Something else to keep in mind... This may seem obvious, but at the same time it isn't.

After you type your search, some results might immediately pop up. These are NOT the full results. I think they're the recently added/cached emails. You have to remember to hit the search button and then it searches the servers.

I'm saying this because it'd be easy to think the search was already done - and then the message you want may not've shown up.

23. JAT macrumors 603

Don't know about the others, but I noticed that. Waited plenty of time during my analysis. I could add that with the Exchange account it gave a different response, offering a longer search "on the server" which I had to tap to begin.

It seems odd to me.

24. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I load the GMail app when I need to search, as much as it does suck. Apple's Mail leaves a lot to be desired... at least its fast. The search on the whole OS is hit or miss... it seems to work at all about half the time, which does get annoying for contact searches.