is there some kind of trick to adding email accounts to the iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bacong, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

my gmail account worked right away, just fine, but I have an email address on a friend's website...I'm 99% sure I entered the info correctly.

I don't know how to be any more specific about this... maybe have any of you guys experienced difficulties in setting up a non yahoo/aol/gmail address on your iPhone/iPod touch?

2. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

You could always just have that email forwarded to your gmqil or whatever you do have on your phone.

Do you know what type of email account it is? POP or IMAP?

3. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68020

Bacong

It's IMAP. I just tried setting the email up in the Mail application, and it worked fine. (I use Thunderbird)

So, any advice?

I just tried again, and it endlessly hangs on "verifying IMAP account info" and says something about being invalid. Again, this works fine on my computer.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, it can't endlessly hang if it subsequently gives you an error message, non? :p After the error message, did you check to see if the account was actually added or not?

If I remember correctly, one annoying feature of the way IMAP is set up on the iPhone / iPod is that it insists on trying to connect to the server on default ports before it gives a chance to change the port / security configuration. So sometimes with non-standard setups, one must wait for this to fail before correcting the ports.

The other possibility that comes to mind immediately is that, if this is a small mail server that a friend set up, as you say, if you are trying to set this up via EDGE or 3G, your phone company's DNS may be failing to find an IP address for it? If this is the case, try getting the numeric IP for the server and using it instead of the domain name, possibly. And also just to ask the obvious, this isn't a personal mail server set up on some computer in someone's dorm room, is it? That is, it does have public internet access, and it wasn't just working in Thunderbird because the computer was connected to the intranet, was it?

There isn't any "trick" in any event -- most mail should behave essentially the same in Mail on the iPod as it does in Mail on a Mac or on Thunderbird.

5. Bacong thread starter macrumors 68020

Bacong

I got this to finally work by syncing it with iTunes. Too much headache for something that should be so simple.

But yeah, obviously, the email is on the internet, not the intranet :eek:

Thanks for the help.

6. Pgraham macrumors newbie

Has anyone else run into this? I have the same problem but can't sync with my email on my computer because I use ubuntu as my primary OS and only run windows for iTunes. Is this a bug with the firmware I'm running? I have a brand new touch running version 2 firmware.

Thanks