Is there some sort of interface where i could hook an OBD II car computer to my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikes70mustang, Nov 25, 2008.

1. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Im just wondering if there is a program that would work with a MBP. Like a program that would interface with the OBDII in a vehicle. I just want to be able to use my mac to see what the car is doing. Maybe even tweak settings? Im just shooting in the dark with this question, it would just be nice to have something better than one of those stupid code readers. I know a lot about cars and motors but not much on the car computer stuff. So any help from mac/car lovers like me would be appreciated.

2. CrownSeven macrumors member

I drive a VW so I use a program called Vag COM which you install on a PC and use a proprietary USB/OBDIII cable to read/modify the obdII settings on your car.

Of course that doesn't really answer your question, and judging from your screen name looks like you drive American, so the above solution won't work for you at all.

I believe if you do a search on Google, you'll find some links to some OBDII programs that actually will work on the mac.

Sorry couldn't be more helpful.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you are tuning for performance out of your car and are not too sure of how to go about it, I'd hook up an A'pexi SAFC neo to your ECU instead, it allows you to monitor throttle position, engine rpm, speed, air fuel ratio among other things and isn't too hard to use.

If you want to fine tune with a laptop, I'd get a standalone fuel management system, but that's much more complicated, more expensive, and you're pretty much on your own.

4. jeff48 macrumors member

5. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Thanks for the info. I have parallels so i could probably run a pc program as well. But my screen name has nothing to do with this. The only electronics my mustang has is the radio. Im just interested in tinkering, or being able to monitor exactly how many misfires happen and the different temps in different places. Mechanics have those little $5000 computers that do all that stuff, and id like to do the same but with my MBP. Code readers are useless sometimes and it would just be nice to see the specific happenings of the motor.

6. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

As the Vag Com software is only for Audi and Volkswagen!

7. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Check out the scan cage!