is there something off with the iOS6 keyboard or auto correct dictionary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robaroo, Sep 28, 2012.

1. robaroo macrumors regular

I got the iPhone 5 on launch date and have since noticed that my text messages go out with way more typos than they ever have before. I've owned every single iPhone so I have years of experience with iOS on the iPhone. Pre-iPhone 5 rarely did my texts go out with more than one or two typos. Now they're going out with five or more typos depending on the size of the text message. I don't think I'm typing any different. So I'm wondering if there were tweaks made to the keyboard (i.e., touch area for each key) or to the auto-correct dictionary because it's really noticeable to me.

I'm not trying to make a huge deal out of this (i.e., keyboard gate). But just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

2. apb89 macrumors regular

I won't lie.. I have also experienced this. I am not totally sure why, as the responsiveness seems spot on, just like previous iterations. I have decided the cause is due to the screen being lowered in relation to the devices. I.E. the screen is 'lower', kinda 'pushed' toward the home button. This technically lowers the keyboards location in relation to my thumbs.

I think I am making sense. But yeah, I think it is something that I will get used to over time.

3. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Yes! Me too! I thought I was holding the phone differently in my hand with the new dimensions. It's been making me crazy!

4. OceanstarUK macrumors newbie

OceanstarUK

It is diffenitley an iOS6 thing and has nothing to do with the iPhone 5. I have an iPhone 4S and I noticed those typos. I use Arabic as the second language on the phone and I certainly had a lot of typos with that one after iOS6, turns out the Space bar size has been reduced! thus changing the layout of the bottom row.

Something must have been changed in other languages as well......

5. tekno macrumors 6502a

Wow. This iOS6/iPhone 5 release just gets worse and worse.

6. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

Just curious if you set it up as new or restored. Previous iPhones seemed to "learn" words as you used it. for instance not changing foul language and last names.

If you set up from new it may have lost that training and will regain it in time.

7. thaghost macrumors 6502

I was thinking same thing...i thought i had the setting turned off.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I noticed the space bar issue too. I thought it was just me :)

9. The Tos macrumors 6502a

I am glad I am not the only one. I have had every iphone since the 3g and this is by far the most errors i am making typing. I even reset my dictionary stuff to try and resolve.

10. robaroo thread starter macrumors regular

i restored from a previous backup by plugging into itunes.

my theory is that whatever algorythm was used to predict the next key stroke is no longer in iOS 6. for example, sometimes i would type the first few letters of a word and when i get to a specific character it would only let me touch the correct character and not the character to the left or to the right of that one. not 100% sure but i think that's what's missing. and so now it just lets me do whatever i want.