Is there something wrong with me in the fact that I dont...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Oct 3, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Is there something wrong with me in the fact that I dont care about celebrities, I dont care what there doing, what they have done, what there going to do next? Their sex scandals, their relationships ect, I just don't care.

Why are people obsessed with celebrities? There just normal people... I mean some people can name off every little detail about their favourite celebrity , but if you ask them about you they know nothing, it just seems to strange to obsess over somebody that wouldn't give a darn about you.

I know people that fantasize about certain celebrities, talk about how hot they are and say, she's my girl, i'm going to get married to her. If you ask me these people are just sick!

Or people that go to a concert and got to touch the singer and freak out about actually touching this person. Once again they are just a person.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No. It just means that you would rather spend your time doing things worthwhile to benefit YOUR life, instead of wasting yours and other people's time talking/gossiping about someone else's life.

Pretty much, for those that do do this, it shows that they don't have much to do in their lives, and that their lives are rather shallow.

BL.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

Ummm...no. There is absolutely no one, short of the sweepstakes guy with his 6-foot-wide check, that would make me freak out if I opened my door and there they were.

I understand liking an actor/singer/band/whatever. I can even understand avidly following them (I'm not talking in the stalker sense). But the whole freaking out if you get to see or touch them thing is a little weird.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No - in fact, it makes you...wait for it...perfectly normal.

:eek:

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You did not just say that. ;)

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think it does makes you stand out, but then again, I often go "who?" when people mentioned celebrities, so I guess something "is wrong with me" too.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It makes sense really. How could you possibly have room to care for celebs when you are so concerned with starting inane threads on macrumors?

(I'm not interested in celeb life either, BTW.)

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yes....

You are wrong- they are not just people, they are celebrities. We are to worship them, bow down to them, buy magazines strictly about them, watch tv channels devoted to them, and buy perfumes and colognes of their scents.

There is something wrong with you.

9. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

They get a rush out of experiencing something they themselves will likely never get to experience, so they live vicariously through their celebrity "heroes".

10. Queso macrumors G4

Definitely. Personally I am completely obsessed with every teeny-tiny facet about the lives of such well refined paragons as Katie BigBoobs and Kerry DruggedUp. I buy each and every thing about them, even their perfumes and the books they obviously write themselves. I mean, I even watch ITV2!!

But then I'm a complete saddo, work in a ****** no-hope call centre job for minimum wage, and have neither drive nor education with which to better myself. I never travel, never push myself to experience anything for myself, and would rather sit for hours on end watching crap like EastEnders than ever open a book and learn anything new.

11. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

The Human Race is getting dumber and dumber with every generation. Anyone ever seen the movie Idiocracy? Yeah, that's really happening.

12. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Welcome to Carls Jr......

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No we're not. Our collective education level is increasing. You certainly aren't the first to bemoan following generations with being less than your own.

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

That really depends on how you measure 'education'. One some things we're getting smarter, on many other things we are getting more stupid. Today's kid might be able to maintain a database and type 80WPM, but ask them to survive a week in the wilderness or grow an acre of vegetables, and they couldn't come close. Math scores, english scores, etc. vary over time and they don't necessarily keep going up! Testing standards have gone down in many important areas. Don't act like we're on a constant ride upwards to an intellectual society.

15. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I don't get celebrity culture, but there are some people whose work I really respect and admire, who have made a genuine difference in my life, and those people, yes, I would and do get excited about meeting.

For me it's comedians, people like Stewart Lee, Marc Maron, Dylan Moran, Bill Hicks, Doug Stanhope (I could go on and on). For me these people bring truth and joy to people, they are thinkers and have a message for the world. If anyone's worthy of admiration in the celebrity world, it's them.

I don't, however, give a monkey's what they wear or have for breakfast, who they sleep with or if they got drunk in a club. But I do read their autobiographies.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's not an example of education decreasing. It's an example of what is important in education and what interests kids shifting.

I stand by what I said. Our collective education as a race is absolutely increasing. The human race is not confined to american schools nor is it confined to maths and English.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

You know not what you speak of. Justin Bieber is to be worshipped! :eek:

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is there something wrong with me in the fact that I dont...

Everybody does, you included. They just lie about it.

No .... what .... wait!!!!

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're perfectly normal not to get all wrapped up in celebrities.

It's the other people, the ones who follow celebrities' lives instead of living their own, that I worry about.

Hell, I'll go you one better. There are times when the news is over and Entertainment Tonight comes on, and before I turn it off I hear them teasing stories about certain supermodels or stars -- and as often as not I find myself going "Who??"

Or I'll be waiting to get a haircut and thumbing through the inevitable copy of People magazine, looking at the pictures and names of the celebs, and realizing that I don't know who a good chunk of them are.

Maybe it's just my middle age showing, or maybe I just plain don't care about these people. Am I alone in this experience?

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, not at all, for I am the same.

We no longer belong in the target demographic for such things.

And that's ok too. ;)

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I agree. Technology such as the internet has exposed more stupidity.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It's natural to be curious about people who achieve fame/wealth/success.

Sometimes you have be careful about your own inner motivations for disliking or hating celebrities or people who are successful in some way. It can say more about you that it will about them.