Is there still a magnet on Apple remote and new Imac 27 inch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pinzel51, Mar 7, 2010.

1. pinzel51 macrumors newbie

pinzel51

Hey Guys,

I searched on the forum but cannot find anything :

My question is : Does the new apple remote still has a magnet in order to stick it on the side of the new imac 27 inch i5 ?

Thank you for your answer.

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

nope, hasnt been one since the late 2007 AL iMacs.

3. devianter macrumors member

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Just yesterday I tried to stick my old white plastic remote to the side of my 27 ". Does not stick anywhere, but it still works perfectly. :D

My last iMac was white plastic, so I assume there was some type of magnetic material attached on the inside of the frame for the remote to stick to. Not so incredible to think there might be the same set up with the AL iMacs.

5. devianter macrumors member

AL and magnet ? .. have u ever heard about physics ?

6. jwheeler macrumors regular

Cobalt, nickel and iron (the basis of steel) are magnetic, but steel reacts badly with Aluminium (i think?).

Cobalt and the nickel i don't know the properties of...

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

So what if magnets don't stick to aluminum. Of course it won't since there is no iron in AL. You place a magnet "under" the aluminum shell of the iMac and the remote will still stick to it. Just like as if it were plastic like the white iMacs ;). The magnetic field will still penetrate the AL so the remote would stick. Don't know why they omitted it though on the newer models?

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

well if you are like me, I have 6 of those remotes still wrapped in plastic still sitting in the boxes.

9. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

The glass on the screen is held in place by magnets, so if you have a remote (or other device) that has a ferrous component in it that isn't damaged by magnetic fields, you can still stick stuff to the screen.

The new aluminium remote is quite unlikely to stick to it, but if you have the older white remote, it will.

Personally I think you're slightly crazy to want to risk scratching the beautiful display/bezel.

10. unixfool macrumors 6502a

On the 27" iMac, there are two spots where you can stick your remote. On the upper right and left corners...on the face of the screen (not the sides). There are spots lower on each side, but they wouldn't hold up my remote (white model).

I won't be doing this because I don't want scratches. Just place it on the stand at the bottom.

11. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I was told in-store they removed the magnetic remotes because of the distance required from the magnet and the guts of the iMac and they needed the space so did away with it.

12. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

can i have one?? :D i really need one