Is there such a thing as a dual bay "fanless" external hard drive enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jottle, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Jottle macrumors 6502

Do these even exist? I want to get one as I hate the sound of fans. Would this just be hard drive suicide considering it would get warm? Recommendations please.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I found one, but it's interface is USB 2.0. If you want others, it may limit the choices, assuming there are any others. :eek: ;)

As per the drives getting too hot, it will depend on the drive even more than the enclosure. For example, you might want to consider a Green drive (low power, and runs at lower rpm, all resulting in a cooler drive). The downside is overall throughput is reduced, but USB 2.0 isn't the fastest interface to begin with. :p

3. pprior macrumors 65816

The green drives will be faster than the interface (usb2) so it really doesn't make sense to buy a faster drive in such an enclosure anyway....

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yeah, I should've been clearer. ;) But the interface will make a difference if another type is selected, particularly eSATA. :)

5. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have been more clear. Specifically, I'm looking for a FW800 dual bay enclosure that is fanless. These are really hard to find!

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I am looking for the exact same mystical enclosure. If you find it, let me know ;)

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Those are rare, but I did locate one. WD My Book Studio II (2TB).

Plenty with a fan though, and not a bad idea to have. Some are quiet enough, and worst case, you can replace them if you've the inclination. ;)

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

nanofrog, that enclosure already has drives in it ;)

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I know. :D

I didn't see one that didn't. They may exist, but seem on the rare side, and would require a lot of searching around to locate. :(

So either patience is in order, use one with drives already in it, or get an enclosure that uses a fan. :eek: :p Up to you. ;)