Is there such a thing as a "Soul"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheDance511, Jan 30, 2009.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

So, ya, I'm not sure if this post belongs somewhere else, but ya, sorry if it does. But, I have been thinking a while about what a soul really is and if it is real or not. I talked to my good friend about it but he was really no help because he just told me we die and lay and rot in the ground, which may be true, but not very enlightening or anything like that. I know there is no definitive answer. I have heard that there are chemicals in one's brain that can make them feel emotions or whatever. I don't know what i beleive really. I think it's possible but I'm not sure. Sometimes I think about it for long periods of time. The thing abou t this topic though is that there are no facts that I know of. But like is a soul some sort of entity that moves from one body to another. Is it something that stays in one body and goes somewhere. If it does go somewhere, where does it go? Why? And How? And if it is actually in someone's body can it leave at anytime? I don't know what I believe really, but I think it's cool to think of stuff like this because it gets my mind going. I was just throwing this idea around and i thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss. Thats all... Anyway what do you guys think? Thank you.:eek:

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

INB4 move into PRSI...

I believe our souls are recycled forever, the universe is forever, in all sense, it always existed, it will never end, whatever happens will loop forever, our paths are set by laws that are not understood, and never will be by someone greater, I don't believe there's a god, but there is something out there that we don't know about.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

5. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If only it were that easy... the world would be a much calmer place.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Tell that to the Pescartarians.

Attached Files:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Depends what you define as a "soul".

Some say it's like a wee ghost that piddles about the body night and day and is released on death where it can wonder around playing Football with other wee ghosts.

I don't know what my take on it is. I believe the soul is some kind of consciousness in the brain that brings in personality, hopes, fears and all that which is mostly carved from a young age from previous experiences. I don't think it's something that floats around but I do think it's something that makes you you. Be it just a more encompassing term for personality.

And dull. All these modernist super liberals say we should all be different. And they've got it right since lots of people think in lots of different ways.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I don't see what souls have to do with crossing the street.

Attached Files:

• s28.JPG
      s28.JPG
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
  10. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

200,000 years of human existence and not a single piece of evidence. I'd say no. We just think there's such a thing because our consciousness seems to add a spatial quality to the mind, thus it appears to us like we're sort of inside of our bodies. We're not. Just as the things we perceive are really not that solid (everything is mostly empty space). It's a sort of optical illusion. /demented rambling

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Stop floundering with my pun.

12. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

There's something fishy about this post...

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think your pun had scales and was gutted.

14. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

15. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you keep your head covered with a piece of tinfoil, your soul cannot escape from your body. The shiny side of the foil must be facing down though. If the matte side is facing down, your soul will escape, and the foil will trap the heat from the sun's intense rays.

17. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

All these years I've had the matte side down... it explains so much...

18. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I went down to the fishmarket this afternoon looking for a fish dinner. They were all soled out.

SLC

19. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

If you are speaking of a soul as in a spiritual copy of your brain that continues on living after physical death, then I say no. When the brain dies we cease to exist. If one wants to believe in recycled energy such as reincarnation then so be it, there is no convincing evidence either way. (Other than past life regression therapy which I personally do not take seriously.) But I think that to believe that after we die there is a copy of ourselves with all of our knowledge intact is wishful thinking.

20. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I think it depends on the definition of "soul." Do we have identities and personalities? Certainly. Do we have an immortal and immaterial part of our being? I am inclined to think not.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ask these Japanese guys.

Attached Files:

22. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I guess I'll be in the minority here by saying, yes, there is such a thing as a soul.

24. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I've going to digress from the font of humour engorging this thread and give you a straight answer:

We are a soul. The soul dies when we die.
    When we die, the soul dies.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What happens if we die and are resuscitated?