is there to much diference between Quad-core 2010 "Nehalem" 2.8GHz and 3.2GHz

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wahya, Nov 24, 2010.

1. wahya macrumors newbie

hello everybody , im very interesting in buying a mac pro but as you know always money is the big problem , i decide to buy a quad mac pro but there is two option , is there to much diference in power processing between Quad-core 2010 "Nehalem" 2.8GHz and 3.2GHz? i check in geek bench mark and the 2.8 GHZ get a result of 8360 and the 3.2 GHZ get a result of 9968. is that to much diference ? please i need some help me in this dilema !!! thank you for your time , thanks

2. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

You can see the difference for yourself. There is a speed difference but is it worth the extra money for you? I personally went with the 2.8 but plan to upgrade to a 6-core when prices come down so spending extra for the 3.2 would have been a waste of money for me.

Both are good systems, if you don't plan on upgrading your cpu then you will get a little more time out of the 3.2.

3. wahya thread starter macrumors newbie

well as you know money is always a problem , im planing to use this mac pro for editing and rendering final cut studio and i want to work with adobe CS5 , my plan is to buy the Nvidia 4000 and put more ram , in the future if luck is by myside i will like to buy a a six core and use the same nvidia grafic card . i mean take it out if the quad core and install it in the six core !!! how much ram will be the ideal do you think ? my plan sounds ok ? what do you think ?

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

If $'s are a big issue than start with the 2.8, 5770, 3x4GB RAM, and a 120+ GB SSD boot drive. That would be a nice "starter" machine.

I personally thought the 3.2 upgrade was worth it when I purchased my MP. There's no "right" answer to this one. Just do what makes sense financially to you.

cheers
    JohnG

5. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

You'll see more speed increase in a 2.8 Ghz with an SSD that a 3.2 Ghz with a HD.

6. wahya thread starter macrumors newbie

that sounds even better !!! is there to much diference between from 12 to 16 GB Ram ?

7. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

Regarding the SSD, it really depends on how you use the system.. as do all of these things. If you're primarily crunching numbers then an SSD won't do that much, as it will only benefit if you're hitting the hard drive a lot. It's great for loading apps that aren't already in memory and booting the system though.

I was pretty disappointed in my SSD after I got over the "wow that app loaded.. or the system booted so fast!". I don't shut down often, and I generally have my apps open so it's just ok.

9. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

That is exactly what I did and then I put in a few extra 1TB drives I had around the house. The machine is a great multipurpose device. I know I will have some money each year to add a little more to the system as price breaks happen. With all tech you need to find the sweet spot between your needs (not wants :)) and price. I don't use my Mac Pro to earn a living. So I couldn't justify the speed boost right now. I know I will be able to get more speed for my money next year so I'm doing that.

As for RAM if you don't use it then it doesn't help you so take your current needs and round up a little. You can add more later if needed.