is there too much risk buying iphone 5 off private seller

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gbone74, Feb 25, 2013.

1. gbone74 macrumors newbie

i am in the process of buying an iphone 5 after selling my s3 ill probably have to add anywhere between £100 and £250 depending which route I take

I am concerned because the phone will likely be £400-£500

Am I better off spending more and getting either a second hand unit from a shop sech as CEX or cash converters or saving some cash and buying private(ebay,forums,gumtree etc)

how likely /easy is it for the seller to get the phone blocked once Ive bought it by saying its been stolen,and if its that easy why do you not here these stories every 5 minutes as these sites sell so many

for the first time in my life I am actually thinking about going straight to the apple store,taking a further hit and just buying a new one (500-700)

2. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

I bought my 2nd hand ip5 off eBay.
    Had it a few months now and it's been brilliant.

Just check the sellers feedback and if they have a lot then Ill doubt they want to scam you by getting it blocked.
    Also check what else they sell, if they have a lot of phones for sale then there's more chance you will be ok.

3. gbone74 thread starter macrumors newbie

im torn at the minute i am advertising my phone and have mentioned i will part ex with cash for an iphone 5 and have lots of interest and that is the cheapest way but I just dont know how this works they might be experts at ripping people off

If I sell mine and go to a store to buy used on network I might as well add £50 and go straight to apple

second hand traders near me sell a mint iphone 5 unlocked for only £5 less than apple :eek:

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Considering the amount you are spending and the potential risk it makes more sense to get a new phone and new warranty from Apple. Go for it. :cool:

5. gbone74 thread starter macrumors newbie

its looking more like that even off a network there is not much saving and your phone is locked and probably full of network crap

The biggest problem with buying phones is the fact that someone can remotely make it useless by reporting it stolen or whatever,and when you are talking 4-600 thats a lot of money

If you buy an amp or speakers all you have to worry about is does it work/condition etc....with a phone you have to see it works but also to judge the character of the seller as well,ive never even thought about it before and ive bought loads of phones but once the money increases it does make you think.

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I've bought used phones and have sold phones as well and have had no issues. While there may be some scammers, it's unlikely that everyone is out to get you so don't be so paranoid (although if it does happen commonly where you live then there would be reason for concern, although it doesn't seem that way)

7. gbone74 thread starter macrumors newbie

its never really bothered me before...its just that in a lot of cases because they hold their value so well prices are not a million miles from a direct new apple phone and the risk to reward ratio seems higher than with other phones where there is a massive depreciation and used is almost a no brainer

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Try Gumtree, but it depends on where you are located. In London currently the iPhone 5 can be found for anywhere from £360 upwards. I previously posted I bought a brand new sealed iPhone 5 on O2 for £400 - receipt included :)
    I personally would not use CEX to buy....I was looking in 3 of their stores recently and even though the device is sold as "mint", it is far from it....most of the (white) iPhones i looked at had loads of dirt and crud around the outside join between the glass and rear of the device. eBay? I have never purchased anything over £20 on eBay. I just wouldn't feel safe without seeing it. Try selling and buying on Gumtree. State your rules and meet, cash only somewhere public. Good luck!

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Well CEX add a 12 month warranty of their own onto their phones and if for any reason it's imei is blocked they will simply swap it out for another.

In the uk if someone defaults on their contract then its normally the sim they Barr.

You can check the status of the iPhone by typing in its serial number on apples website.

I opted to pay £529 from my local apple high-street store for peace of mind but I concede not everyone either wants to pay that or indeed can.

I'd stay clear of flea bay as so many have not even received their handset at all and disputes start. I wouldn't be surprised if e bay actually stopped the selling and buying of high end handsets due to all the issues that can be involved.

If you are buying from the auction sites or gum tree then why not arrange to meet at an apple store so the serial numbers can be checked out.
    Have your micro sim at hand and activated so you can check that it connects to your network ok.

Always try to obtain the original receipt too if possible to support ownership.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I find that buying used saves me $100-200 off of Apple's listed price. You should consider tax savings as well. However, if the difference between you buying a used device and a brand new one isn't very significant, then just get the new one and enjoy peace of mind.

11. gbone74 thread starter macrumors newbie

my main worry is them reporting the phone lost/stolen claiming another one then mines blocked,a bit sceptical perhaps:)

everytime i see one to buy before i pull the trigger i just keep getting a nagging doubt that i am going to be fleeced i never had it with other phones

I will probably end up going the apple store then i know everything will be hassle free,hopefully:D

12. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

There's a lot of risk involved, plus with all the scuffgate it's much better to go to the store and exchange until you find a model that is in okayish condition.

13. Mellisaray macrumors regular

I suggest to buy it in the local apple store or reliable website, the private seller is not safe and no quality warranty.

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

If Ive bought it I don't think it could be blocked.

15. gbone74 thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to avoid private and go here http://www.smartfonestore.com/

under £400 for a grade A iphone 5 with warranty and comeback is a very fair deal i think:cool:

i am sat here now literally trying to buy one and cant decide between white or black.:confused: