Is this a factory or replacement battery (PICTURE)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scottphillips88, Apr 20, 2012.

1. scottphillips88 macrumors member

So I paid a company to replace my battery and a month later the battery life still sucks. So this time I opened it myself and this is the battery that was in it. It looks like an original based on how much it is beat up not a 1 month old replacement.

What do you think? Factory 3Gs battery or a replacement?

THANKS!

Attached Files:

2. Monkeyfoahead, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012

Monkeyfoahead macrumors newbie

not original. chinese rip-off.

3. scottphillips88, Apr 20, 2012

scottphillips88 thread starter macrumors member

Not really. I was hoping it was a knock off because then he actually did replace the battery! The alternative is he said he replaced it and actually just left the same one in....

I figured he would replace it with a knock off. A brand new OEM would cost a TON.

Any other thoughts?

Any suggestions on an awesome place to buy a longer lasting battery? Now that I can easily do it myself I may want to...

4. joshualander, Apr 20, 2012

joshualander macrumors newbie

I'd ignore that if I were you.

Apple Certified Technician here. That is almost certainly a legitimate, OEM battery -- Apple part number and everything, all bar codes in the correct places.

5. scottphillips88 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Josh! So based on your opinion is this a new battery he put in a month ago or the one tht shipped with the phone? The tape residue made me think he just pulled it out to replace the other things I had him replace and then tossed it back in. Thanks!

6. Monkeyfoahead macrumors newbie

how do u know im not.

7. joshualander macrumors newbie

8. scottphillips88 thread starter macrumors member

9. joshualander macrumors newbie

The tape residue would suggest that it it's the original battery, since replacement batteries (both OEM and third-party) generally ship with a pre-cut strip of 3M double-sided adhesive -- clear, leaves no residue, and would still be stuck to the back of the battery or the inside of the iPhone's rear housing.

I feel like one of the Car Talk guys.

10. scottphillips88 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm thinking. Another reason I pulled it apart is due to the fact that it wiggled around a little and drove me nuts. This time I put a stick of double sided tape on the back and it doesn't budge!!

I think I'll go question him on it tomorrow. My power button stopped working today and maybe I'll convinced him to fix it for nothing, I can't seem to be able to after a few hours of trying!

11. scottphillips88 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I reported him and he appears to now be banned. You should see the PM I sent him. I'm somewhat ashamed of my use of words. But hey, it felt good.

12. joshualander macrumors newbie

Can you still feel the power button click when you press it?

13. scottphillips88 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I can feel it press. It somewhat sunk in on the left so when I pulled it apart I cleaned in out nicely and it now presses just as new but it still doesn't work!!

Do I need to replace the ribbon assembly instead of just the button?

Your the man

Thanks

14. joshualander macrumors newbie

If the button isn't working after reseating, then you'll need a new ribbon assembly. Luckily, you can find them online for under $20; try eTech Parts or Global Direct Parts.