Is this a good deal? Beginning creation of digital art.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NiroNavro, Aug 16, 2011.

1. NiroNavro macrumors regular

Hello, I would like to start producing digital art be it music, movies, etc. I want to start with music. I found a local craigslist ad that posts a macbook pro with all the software to get me started. Here's the link: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/sys/2532584360.html

I'm wondering if this is a good deal and a good way to start as a beginner? Are these a good set of programs? Is this a better choice than an iMac or iPad?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're not going to be doing any production of anything on an iPad, that's for sure. Don't buy one hoping to be able to produce music with it.

Really depends if you'd rather have a laptop or desktop, the iMac is a good computer too.

3. bluesteel macrumors 6502

if all the original software discs are included (CS5, Logic, act), than yeah, it seems like a fair deal. if the software is just pre-installed and you don't get the discs, than no, its not a good deal. i had the same macbook pro with 8GB of memory and sold it for $750 about a month ago on Craig's List Detroit Metro. i think that was a fair price.

4. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

The preinstalled software is most likely pirated. Not sure how this wasn't immediately obvious to you.

Those programs retail for more than the computer. Lastly, you don't necessarily need an Apple computer to create digital art. Perhaps that was true 10 years ago but it isn't true anymore.

Are you sure you just don't want to buy an Apple product regardless of reason? You're not serious about creating anything if you're considering an iPad.

5. bluesteel macrumors 6502

other than an email :)

6. NiroNavro thread starter macrumors regular

I am serious about creating, that's why I'm choosing a mac. As a beginner I feel I need the streamlined ease of use that a mac offers, not the complexity of a PC. I thought iPad just because it seems like the future, truly revolutionary and extraordinary. I know it has its limits but it really is the way of tomorrow...is it not? Seems like a great way to learn as a beginner too. I could be way off.

7. Naimfan, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I wouldn't buy it. It's a two year old model, not the last generation. And it's grossly overpriced (I simply assume any Adobe software installed is NOT legitimate or the listing would say it came with discs and a Transfer of License).

EDIT: On further review, is it a 13", as it says in the ad text, or a 15", as the title says? If it's a 15" Core i5 it's not grossly overpriced; if it is a 13" Core 2 Duo, it is.

I've seen a number of i5 13" MBPs in my neck of the woods for anywhere from $900-1000, so I'd wait for one of those.

8. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Look, buy a Mac if you want one, but stop using nonsense logic to justify your purchases.

Having a Mac isn't going to give you any advantage in the creation of anything. I'm a photographer and so I'll speak for the adobe suite of products (Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge, Premiere Pro etc) ... They all run the same on Mac and PC.

Software is software. Programs don't magically run better simply because you have a Mac.

Who is filling the heads of people with this stupidity?

I bought a Mac because I wanted one (I mean it's my money after all, I'll do whatever I want with it), and I didn't need to come up with bullcrap excuses like "streamlined ease of use" (Is that from an Apple commercial?)

Windows PCs are just as easy to use as Macs today, it's all a matter of preference ... I own both and there's no bloody difference except Command is Control and Option is Alt.