Is this a good deal on a Mac Mini? 2.0ghz with applecare until 2010...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wangchunggti337, Mar 26, 2009.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I've been wanting a Mac Mini for awhile and I think I've finally found a pretty solid deal.

It is a Mini being sold by someone updating to the new released Minis.

Here are the specs:
    Mac mini, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 1GB/120GB, SuperDrive, Airport and
    Bluetooth, and warranty thru 08/21/10.

Price is $395

Pull the trigger?

2. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Is that the max of your budget?
    I'd prefer getting the new mini for a little more. That old one, while still having applecare, is 2yr old tech. The new mini has much better graphics.

3. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

the new one definitely has better graphics, but if your use realistically doesn't require much on that front you save a couple hundred dollars. I'd consider doing it. but then, I'm cheap.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'd say it's a good deal. Unless the graphics are absolutely necessary for you, you save over $200 by buying this model. The only difference is the slower RAM, graphics, and an older processor(but with not much difference in benchmarks).

5. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Graphics are not a huge deal but I do some occasional Photoshop stuff and might use it as a media center later on. I don't do any movie editing other than some iMovie here and there. Should I go for the newer version or is this the way to go? I didn't really want to spend more than $350 but I realize that's pretty unrealistic unless I want G4.

Thanks

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I had a Core Solo Mini that I upgraded to a 2.0GHz Core Duo - it ran just about any Photoshop tasks I could throw at it fine. (Its 2GB memory cap was the main issue when working with large/multiple images.) The GMA950 won't slow you down most of the time unless you're A) gaming or B) running Vista. :D C2D Mini for $395 with AppleCare is a good deal IMO.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I really recommend the newer models. Computers usually are considered old if they have 3+ year tech in them. The last gen Mini had 2 year tech when you bought it...

8. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I concur...

Snow.

I don't see why people will be penny wise and pound foolish :)

You can even go to the apple 'education' store if you're a student, teacher, know someone who's a student, teacher, etc. and get the newer(JUST updated) mini for $550+tax.

That's LESS than $200 for a better Front speed bus, faster memory, more MAX ram, etc.

It really depends what you're doing with photoshop. I believe the newer version will take advantage of better graphics. Plus, if you ever think about doing 3d or anything that takes advantage of the graphics, you'll thank yousrelf. Also, who knows how the new Mac OS will take advantage of better graphics.

It's your decision, but think wisely about trying to save a few bucks now and kicking yourself in the arse later for not spending a little bit more for NEW tech and not 2 year old tech.

9. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

The old mini is in a real tough spot now. No one is going to sell their old $700 mini for like $250 even though it's worth $250, I agree with everyone else when I say that you should buy the new one. It's just not worth $300+ for a computer with a GMA950 integrated graphics chip.

-bob

10. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Thanks for all your help people. New update: I talked to the seller about the new updates and they dropped the price to $300.

What do you think?

11. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I think you just bought a Mini.

12. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

13. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I sure hope you did. That's an irrefutable deal, I'd say.