Is this a good idea: Sign up for Verizon now to get unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noodlelegs, Oct 15, 2010.

1. noodlelegs macrumors member

Just like the title says... should I buy a cheap Verizon smartphone off of ebay, sign up for Verizon and get unlimited data on my new smartphone, and then in January, if/when the iPhone comes to Verizon, port my AT&T iPhone phone number to Verizon and get the iPhone with Verizon and have the unlimited data grandfathered in. Anyone else think of this? Would it work?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

IMO... NO
    No Verizon iPhone on January,
    No they won't let you keep it, they need to make the Account change manually (nature of CDMA)
    the money you will expend from now to them will be a wasted.

and so on.. :eek:

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's a leap of faith right there is what that is.

This is Verizon you're talking about.

4. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

What happens if Verizon doesn't get the iPhone anytime soon, or what happens if you can't be grandfathered into unlimited data? I think the negatives outweigh the benefits of your idea. You can't do something based on "if's." At this point, no one knows for sure when or if Verizon will get the iPhone. Even if it does get it and in January, there's still other hurdles for you to overcome. It's simply not worth all the time, money, and sweat you'll spend in hopes of being grandfathered in.

5. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Lets assume for arguments sake that they do get the iPhone in January. If you are Verizon and wanting to move everyone, especially the eeeevilll iPhone data hogs, to capped data plans, coming up with a new "iphone data plan" that is the only plan available for the iPhone and is capped and you can;t transfer an existing plan seems like a great way to do it to me. Then youd be out what you paid and no better off than everyone else.

6. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

First of all let's not talk if Verizon gets the iPhone. Because right now the proper question is when is Apple unveiling the CDMA iPhone. Second, I think iPad data plans (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad_faq.jsp)
    are gonna become iPhone Data Plans. And they look as expensive as those on AT&T.

7. Orion126 macrumors regular

If VZW is smart and they want AT&T iPhone users to switch they will offer the unlimited data for the first month. In the end they will put tiers similar to those that AT&T is offering.

I've seen reports that state that the iPhone is a data heavy product.

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I love people like you, no word form either company and you act as if it's a done deal. Anythings possible, but it's not official, slow your roll cowboy...

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Seriously. Who knows what will happen.

10. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Hey cowboy you should slow down, don't let common sense hit you in the head. Apple and Verizon haven't announced anything, I will give you that. But clearly the writing is the wall. First, The Wall Street Journal has said many times that Apple has ordered a large number of CDMA chips. Second, there's the rumor of Apple shopping a CDMA iPhone in India. Third, Apple and Verizon haven't been the best of business buddies, until very recently that it was announced of the iPad on Verizon. Fourth, the Verizon CEO will open the 2011 CES. I'm guessing a Steve Jobs special appearance will materialize. Fifth, carrier exclusive iPhones are becoming extinct on the rest of the world.

I understand the Verizon iPhone rumor is a long standing one. But the proof yells out that this time it is for real.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

But if you port your new number, that would be a NEW account and subject to the new data plans, right? If you wanted to get around that by using the verizon plan you have, you would then have to pay full price for the iphone since you just joined and wouldn't get a discount. PLus, unlimited data is no big whooop. No one I know even comes close to using up their data minutes on the At&t. But thats just up....

12. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

It's very possible that a Verizon iPhone will be announced, but then this has been kicked around for so long. The key reason don't think it's out there quite yet is lack of a actual hardware leak. We haven't see anything that would say there is actually a CDMA phone. Less their security has been cranked up since the iPhone 4 leak, I'll believe it when i see it.

Also, it's not going to be announced at CES. Verizon might talk about their other LTE stuff (Android, WinMo7, BB) but wont' talk about iPhone and here is why: The only iPhone announcement will come from Apple and Steve Jobs at a special even, not CES. I don't believe Apple has announced anything at CES in the recent past.

13. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Okay, let's say they get the iphone. They release their iPhone plans and are all data capped. You might have to change your plan to get your iPhone. What will you say if they won't let you keep it? Will you say, "if you don't let me keep unlimited data, I'll got to AT&T and get a.......data capped plan."

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but there isn't going to be an iPhone on Verizon, ever...

Don't you see?

They lost their chance when they had the chance.
    Now that they see how successful the iPhone is, now they want it, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to get it, understand?

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I bet Apple will never let them sell anything like the iPad, either.

Yeah, poor Verizon ended up instead backing a competitor that is outselling Apple in the USA, and predicted to be the top OS in the entire world within a few years. Not to mention their having a large part of RIM sales. Those crazy Northerners. They chose two winning systems without becoming dependent on having any exclusives, and they kept their network reputation intact, too. What were they thinking?

16. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Yeah, I'm really getting tired of everyone saying it's pretty much official. You are the reason all these other threads are popping saying it's official. These "friends" that told forum members about iPhone on Verizon probably heard it on here from someone saying this crap. I seriously think that's these rumors start.

Oh, and I think it's a dumb move to reserve an unlimited plan on Verizon even if the iPhone was officially coming to Verizon. Why would you waste that kind of money. If you've got cash to burn, then I can't tell you what to do with it. I think it's a retarded idea though. Just my 2 pesos.

17. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

When LTE is out you can expect about $10-$20 more than what your paying now for AT&T and Verizon.

I think once verizon does get it though AT&T is going to play hardball and really keep there prices lower than verizons to keep customers and attract new ones.

There is no doubt AT&T's network will be free'd up if millions of people leave, good for them and great for me and AT&T :D

18. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I doubt it would work - I'm guessing at the very least, when you port your number over they will consider it a new plan (or a new line on a family plan) and force you to choose from whatever plans they are offering at the time.

Maybe the CDMA chips are to be used for iPhones sold in India...

I seriously doubt any company (even one with Steve Jobs as the CEO) would give up the billions of dollars in sales just because Verizon made a business decision and turned them down. There will be a Verizon iPhone at some point. Whether it's a CDMA phone soon, or a LTE phone in some distant future, it will exist.

19. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

I would be amazed if it worked... I figure they will have smartphone plans and then iPhone plans... So you can try if you want the worst that happens at this point is you are out a couple hundred... Unless ATT service is horrible in your area and you have unlimited data on ATT why switch anyways? The unlimited data on ATT keeps me with them almost no matter what because of two apps... Netflix and Pandora.... Almost have one of them running all the time when I am away from home.

20. icyfire macrumors 6502

Uh, dude, if a CDMA iPhone is coming out, it is most definitely going to be released on Verizon first (and perhaps concurrently with other CDMA carriers such as those in India). I think it is laughable to even think that Apple would make a CDMA iPhone for India before they release one for Verizon.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Right now there are too many "if's" and I wouldn't try it.

22. emoore macrumors regular

I agree with the majority in that it probably won't work. I also find it funny that some think that because Verizon and Apple don't "like" each other that means there will never be a Verizon iPhone. There is no like or hate in business, this isn't high school. It's all about money and how to make more of it.

23. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Just too many IF's-
    IF they get the iPhone, IF they let you keep your old data plan, IF they don't offer unlimited data as part of a plan with a higher but more economical rate, IF IF IF.
    It's your money, but I wouldn't do it...

24. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

^^^Spot on!

25. tibere86 macrumors member

Could not have said it better myself.