is this a good monitor for MBP 13.3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by klo-mac, Jun 20, 2011.

1. klo-mac macrumors member

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

To get good image quality, you need a monitor with IPS LCD panel, which tend to be more expensive than TN-based monitors like the one you listed.

In short, TN-based monitors are popular because they are cheap to manufacture and have faster response that gamers crave. On the minus side, they have poor horizontal viewing angle and can only display a couple of hundred thousand colors (as opposed to over 16 million on IPS).

The list is rather short: Comprehensive List of IPS Based LCD Monitors

3. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your answer,

so samsung don't offer that kind of monitors?

4. VeganHipster macrumors regular

I am not sure if they do offer IPS displays, I know for a fact that this summer they are releasing something supposedly better than or on par with IPS.

5. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

shortly, my monitor must be IPS to have same image quality like i have on my MBP?

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

No, it's just that IPS is the best for getting good image quality.

If you don't care about image quality and wants the closest match (although if you care about match, you should get a screen calibration tool), open System Preferences | Displays | Color | Open Profile. Scroll down until you see "Apple display make and model information" then Google search for model number (last 4 digit non-zero number).

7. Euroamerican macrumors member

Euroamerican

I too have been tempted of late to get a deal on a low-priced and attractive Samsung 24 or 27 inch monitor to hook to my MBP 13. I saw some nice Sasung LED monitors with their dark red translucent frame at both Costco and BestBuy within the last few weeks, and they were sale-priced as well.

Attractive case, but worried about image quality (fuzzier fonts) and the deepness of the black (once I try watching Lord of the Rings or some other movie that has a lot of dark backgrounds in it)

Samsung S27A550H
    Samsung S23A550H... Price was extra good, at only US$249.99 a couple weeks ago...

However, I've read some "so-so" or even unpleasant reviews on a couple of them (youtube video reviews too) and it makes me want to just go ahead and buy a refurb Apple Cinema Display.

I would take my MBP into the store and try connecting to the floor models of the various monitors to see which models appeal to you.

---------------
    I've thought about buying a 27 or 32 inch LCD/LED TV with HDMI instead, but that requires more study.

I hooked up my Samsung 40" 120 hz A630 to my MBP and it looked great for movies. As a monitor, it was too darn big and I didn't really give it a good test for "reading and web use", as compared to just watching a movie from Netflix. Also, the picture did not fully fill the screen, as expected.

8. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

Yes tomorrow I will go to store with MBP. Hope I find something, because i really need a big monitor.

I thought to buy iMac, but I cant work in 2 machines... documents here and there.

thanks

9. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

my model is 9CCB

google it, but i didn't found anything useful

thanks

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Do you work with photography?

There are plenty of great panels that work fine. In fact a tnpanel (which ips monitors also are) with good color reproduction and an inexpensive calibrator will be better than an uncalibrated ips monitor!

Around here everyone thinks you need the best of the best all the time. The better question in my mind is...what is your budget, and what resolution do you need?

If money doesn't matter, get the apple 27" which can also charge and display from a new Mac with one cable..

Bt I think some people do need to check in with reality...apple displays are not considered fantastic...they are good, not great.

11. jackhdev macrumors 6502

You mentioned getting an iMac, but Apple makes something called "Cinema Displays". They are 27" displays that have all of the features of an iMac in them, but without the computer. They are $999, but definitely worth the buy. The resolution is great, the screen is beautiful, the audio sounds great, and it comes with USB ports in the back of the display and a power cord that plugs directly into your Mac. It also has a microphone and iSight camera.

12. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answer,

I dont need a monitor more than 21 inch and more than $350.

Anyway, today I will get my MBP and will go the store, I like Samsung LED Screens but they dont have integrated speakers... this not good for me.

13. nutmac macrumors 68040

Can you explain why you need the image quality to be as subpar as 13" MacBook Pro in the first place? One of the reasons (other than additional real estate space) to get external monitors is to get better image.

14. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

because im web designer, and i need best quality possible, but im afraid i cant find it.

i was store today and tested a couple of samsung displays, cant be compared with MBP, and image was not clear.

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

Since you do design work, shouldn't you want better image quality than 13" MBP? While known for better than average (for notebook) display, it's not known for good image quality.

I strongly recommend getting an IPS based display.

16. h00ligan macrumors 68030

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2311H-Widescreen-DisplayPort/dp/B003QTKV9W

And buy a calibrator, like the spyder 3($99) or if yu want to go budge but not bad (they fixed the early problems) Pantone Huey ($69)

17. klo-mac thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys for all the answers, I appreciate

i have decided to buy or iMac 21 or ACD Led 24 on ebay.

thanks