Is this a good thing to do before sending my Mac in for repair

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thomasp, Aug 7, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Sorry to the mods if this is the wrong forum- I wasn't really sure where it should go :)

My Mac is hopefully going in for repair "soon" at an Apple store. As it is a semi-intermittent problem, I'm assuming Apple will want to do lots of diagnostics. When my dad took his MBP in to have its DVD drive replaced shortly after buying it, he had to give the password for an admin account.

Is it a good idea to create a new user account on my Mac with admin privileges (my regular account has admin privileges) so as the Apple techs can tinker to their hearts delight and not have to deal with all the clutter that's in my user folder and on my desktop? And also so as they can't go nosing through my e-mails, etc (not that I have anything to hide :))

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

You should just back up the whole thing before sending it. Other than that, creating the seperate account would probably not be a bad idea. Apple often wipes your HD for no reason!

3. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Everytime I send mine in, I back it up and wipe it clean with a fresh install.

I don't trust techs for ****. I've heard too many horror stories.

4. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll be doing a backup anyway shortly before sending it in, as I haven't done one for a little while...

If I create a new admin account, will it have exactly the same access privileges, and be able to do everything that the admin account that was created when I first set my Mac up can do?