Is this a good time to buy a refurb last-gen MacBook Pro from Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mjfor40, Nov 29, 2008.

1. mjfor40 macrumors newbie

I'm unfamiliar with how the Apple Store works with refurb pricing but I'm eyeing this one for $1349...should I expect further price drops or do those happen very rarely?

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

15.4-inch widescreen display
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Very rarely in my personal experience. I haven't seen MBPs drop in price by that much for over a few years. Unless you want a glossy display, glass screen, multi touch, etc of the unibody MBPs, just get the last generation. Still a great machine for that pricing. Check if that model has multi touch, it says on the bottom of the page. If you don't need it, then forget about it, but if you would like to try it, well I'll let you make your own decisions.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As SnowLeopard2008 says, the previous generation MBP is still a great machine and the price you mention strikes me as pretty competitive. The refurb MBP has great power, excellent performance, that superb screen, is tested and tried and comes with Apple's warranty at a very attractive price. You should get several years enjoyable computing out of it. I have one and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers and good luck

4. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

I bought that same mbp you posted. It's a great machine, and you can't really beat $1300. :)

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yes, it's a very good time. The prices are unlikely to drop further.