is this a legitimate way to get the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan214, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ryan214 macrumors newbie

I was thinking of having my wife added to my at&t plan to make things easier moving forward. My question is, if I wanted to give her my iPhone 4S, is it then possible for me to pre-order the iPhone 5 and get the standard discount? I didn't know how they would treat this. Also, if she is added to my plan, will she also receive unlimited data since I was grandfathered in? Thanks!!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, you can add a line and get the standard discount. However, she won't be grandfathered to the unlimited plan. New lines/customers will need to select one of the tiered plans.

If you want unlimited data on the iPhone 5, then go to the at&t store after you get it and ask them to perform a "device swap." They'll move your grandfathered line to the iPhone 5 and your wife's new line to the 4S.

3. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

That is a good idea, but, why don't you let you wife have the good phone? =) We are supposed to make sacrifices for those we love. But I'm kidding of course, I know she probably doesn't use it enough to justify it and would be happy with a 4S.

4. ryan214 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha! I did give her the option just to be nice :) but, she knows how much I like having the latest and greatest of gadgets, so she is very understanding!

5. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

Using an upgrade from another line on your family plan, for another line.
    Or purchasing the iphone 5 for her line, and then just switch out the phones when you are activating (you will have to bring it into an AT&T store i think)

Yes this is completely possible with AT&T. Its in their procedures and everything. I've done this with the last 2 iphones I've purchased.

as far as the unlimited data? nope. everyone gets their own data plan (if not choosing the family data plan). and if she gets a new line, she will have to choose from the new options

6. ryan214 thread starter macrumors newbie

can adding her line be done when I'm preordering the phone online? or does the line need to be created in advance of preorder?

7. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

yup you can preorder by adding a new line

8. ryan214 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can just order the iPhone as a new line or transfer your wife's existing number to it, then at&t will be able to combine the two lines into a family plan. They do it all the time.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Getting your wife on your plan and getting a phone are two different things, maybe.

First off, does she have any contract issues with her line? Guessing not at this point.

Next, assume she is also on ATT? Then just get her added to your plan and drop hers. Probably gonna save you some money in the process. Family plans generally are a good deal. Clear all of this up first.

Then, you do an upgrade on her phone - assuming she has had it for over 2 years, give or take.

Then, you go to ATT store and do a device swap.

But - from what I know (very little), get her on your account first.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

He doesn't necessarily need to do that. Anything can be combined after the fact.