Is this a new Retina Display defect? Horizontal Lines on Samsung with Pix.

Nicklaus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Winter Park
I just noticed when I was working on something red in photoshop in full screen mode. Some horizontal lines down where the dock is. After I noticed it I made a full screen with different colors and its there but just not as noticeable. Its in all apps and all the time. Is this a new defect? Could this be a software or firmware problem or should I take it back? This is my second the first one had terrible ghosting and I would hate to risk getting another bad one and have to keep exchanging them if it might become fixed on its own.

Attachments

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I just noticed when I was working on something red in photoshop in full screen mode. Some horizontal lines down where the dock is. After I noticed it I made a full screen with different colors and its there but just not as noticeable. Its in all apps and all the time. Is this a new defect? Could this be a software or firmware problem or should I take it back? This is my second the first one had terrible ghosting and I would hate to risk getting another bad one and have to keep exchanging them if it might become fixed on its own.
Looks like a defect to me. Third time's the charm?

Nicklaus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Winter Park
I'm not running it, but checked out the thread anyway thanks for the link. Mine is a static issue, it remains with the lines on the screen at all times and they don't move. Reminds me of the issue I have with my 27" iMac that has developed a purple line but its vertical. The apple store says that particular problem cant be repaired and would need a new monitor.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
I'm not running it, but checked out the thread anyway thanks for the link. Mine is a static issue, it remains with the lines on the screen at all times and they don't move. Reminds me of the issue I have with my 27" iMac that has developed a purple line but its vertical. The apple store says that particular problem cant be repaired and would need a new monitor.
I see. Are these lines present while booting on the all-white screen? Can you try gfxCardStatus, alternating between the iGPU and dGPU? Not that it would solve the problem but it could help determine if it's a GPU defect.

Last edited:

Nicklaus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Winter Park
Just installed it and switched between the two modes and its on both. I can't say for sure about the boot screen I can't see the line on white or light grey just dark colors. It is present though when I switch resolutions in the display preferences and the screen flashes briefly blue as the modes change.

Nicklaus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Winter Park
Good to know, thanks for the help. By chance do they have some secret stock of them at the stores? It says that none are available for pickup and they are a 7 day wait to ship.