Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know....smells like a mock up to me..... the back of my iPhone has way more fine text on it between the 'iPhone' and the '8GB' (in my case 16GB).

Look at the back of this one:

iphone-back.jpg

compared to the above posted photo:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
if real, it looks a bit thicker

Thicker makes sense - since 3G would likely demand a bigger battery. Hence the chamfered edges to make the unit look thinner. Chamfering is a common industrial engineering 'trick', employed to visually slim down a 'fat' product: It's used effectively - if somewhat obviously - on the Macbook Air.

One of the more 'thoughtful' fakes, if that's what it is.

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
I think he is saying that there are more words on the back of his iPhone than this one.

Which appears to be true.

I would argue though that if it were a new version that it may have less text. Also disproving that the text was lifted from an existing iPhone for the photoshop job.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't know....smells like a mock up to me..... the back of my iPhone has way more fine text on it between the 'iPhone' and the '8GB' (in my case 16GB).

Look at the back of this one:

[I]snipped[/I]

compared to the above posted photo:

[IMG]h[I]snipped[/I][/QUOTE]
If it was exactly the same, then I'd be thinking it was a photoshop job. A slight change lends to it's credibility.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Were any accurate pics of the original iPhone leaked before it's release last year?

If this pic is real(and I don't think it is), then it looks like there's no flash for the camera, lolz.:D

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think he is saying that there are more words on the back of his iPhone than this one.

Which appears to be true.

I would argue though that if it were a new version that it may have less text. Also disproving that the text was lifted from an existing iPhone for the photoshop job.

Yes, that is what I was saying.

I can't see them removing the text that is already there:

Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China Model No: #####
FCC ID: ######## Serial No.: ########### IMEI No.: ###############

What would they remove? The only thing that wouldn't be on this one if it is a prototype or a testing model may be the FCC ID #, since it most likely hasn't been approved by the FCC yet, so it wouldn't have that number on it.

Maybe that's all that is missing?

Or maybe whoever made or photoshopped this didn't want to put their IMEI or serial number on it, but still wanted to make sure it was centered.

drb6

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2005
Boston, MA
All this activity makes me nervous, sale on German iphone plans, lack of stock in many areas across the country and this (despite probably being a mockup) makes me jittery.

IMHO Unlike the ipod, the iphone has even more likelihood of leaked rumors in general, because despite having a large and loyal fan base, the release of new ipod models is still not as universally exciting as a new iphone. They've become somewhat normalized and only a smaller fervent subset is as enthusiastic about them as for the iPhone.

The number of people that report in on any little thing reg the iPhone seems higher than it would the other mac products, what do you guys think?

Of course there's also that FCC business which is a whole new arena for apple to enforce secrecy on going forward. And they don't have anything like what the apple vendors have to lose if some tidbit does escape.

wilk0076

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2006
Enough time has passed that if this thing were real, it would have been pulled from the original website by now and likely from this thread, as well.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
If anyone that knows anything about Apple. Chances are it's not. There is also no guarantee that we will see a new case design either...A new firmware, features and memory bump would be very likely.

jdsam

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
Hanover, NH ... for now
Hmm. 8GB only?

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe they will keep the 8GB to go for a lower entry level price point. Many have been theorizing that they may keep the current 2.5G iPhone in production to maintain a lower entry level price point, but I think 3G with less storage would be a better way to achieve this price point. It seems like that would make more business sense than having two separate models in production with two totally different sets of suppliers and components.

jdsam

EDIT: Granted this only matters if this rumor has any validity to it

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Of course there's also that FCC business which is a whole new arena for apple to enforce secrecy on going forward. And they don't have anything like what the apple vendors have to lose if some tidbit does escape.
One wonders how they kept things so quiet, first time around.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Looks kinda hot (not so much when it's covered in fingerprints, which is what will happen if it's real), but not like Apple's style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.