Is this a real agenda?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jan 10, 2017.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So, it's late (my time), but this has been bandied about all day - though admittedly, I haven't had the time to source the individual points. If in the time I am in sweet slumber, perhaps you will find my post in error. I do find the (potential) gravitas enough to start a discussion though...so Trump Agenda:

1. Trump fires all Ambassadors and Special Envoys, ordering them out by inauguration day.
    2. House brings back the Holman rule allowing them to reduce an individual civil service, SES positions, or political appointee's salary to $1, effectively firing them by amendment to any piece of legislation. We now know why they wanted names and positions of people in Energy and State.
    3. Senate schedules 6 simultaneous hearings on cabinet nominees and triple-books those hearings with Trump's first press conference in months and an ACA budget vote, effectively preventing any concentrated coverage or protest.
    4. House GOP expressly forbids the Congressional Budget Office from reporting or tracking ANY costs related to the repeal of the ACA.
    5. Trump continues to throw the intelligence community under the bus to protect Putin, despite the growing mountain of evidence that the Russians deliberately interfered in our election.
    6. Trump breaks a central campaign promise to make Mexico pay for the wall by asking Congress (in other words, us, the taxpayers) to pay for it.
    7. Trump threatens Toyota over a new plant that was never coming to the US nor will take jobs out of the US.
    8. House passes the REINS act, giving them veto power over any rules enacted by any federal agency or department--for example, FDA or EPA bans a drug or pesticide, Congress can overrule based on lobbyists not science. Don't like that endangered species designation, Congress kills it.

What say you? If (even partially) true - pretty disturbing.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It is at least partially true.

#3 happens on Wednesday, iirc.

#4 I thought I'd heard something regarding this, but I haven't seen it corroborated.

#5 is easily a possibility.

#6 we know is true. Trump has asked congress to appropriate funding.

4. edk99, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

edk99 macrumors 6502a

The only true part of that is he is asking for funding up front to get it going much faster but Mexico will pay. Look at all the jobs that were going to Mexico that are staying in the US. Trump is not going to send them an invoice for the wall. He will chip away at them peso by peso.
    ---

Oh look. They want to negotiate now. lol

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

True or not I agree with most of them.
    1. Appointees aren't typically given such a short amount of time to vacate their posts.
    2. There are too many government employees, many need to go.
    3. There are these fancy things called video cameras that not only can broadcast live, but also record.
    4. If true, is shady. Many people including myself complained when agencies weren't reporting truthful information regarding employment numbers and the like.
    5. No mounting evidence suggests this other than those with a political motivation.
    6. Disappointed. There are plenty of ways to get funds for the wall, including seizing drug proceeds at the border, taxing money gram Western Union type transactions going from the US to Mexico. Even if the US has to pay for the wall, I don't really care as long as it gets built.
    7. There's a Toyota plant in Mississippi trying to get Toyota to expand there vs. moving to any other country regardless of which foreign country it was going to is good for American workers.
    8. Probably the best thing listed.

These are my opinions and my opinions only.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

4. House GOP expressly forbids the Congressional Budget Office from reporting or tracking ANY costs related to the repeal of the ACA.

What?? Holy Hell. If true, it's unbelievable that GOP rank and file would approve of opaque government, unless it's that ole sedusive TEJTM (the end justifies...) strategy is going to bite them in the butt.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

What goes around comes around and Trump doesn't get that because he's always in TAKE THIS! mode. This is why a President like him has a minder like Priebus in the house. The "Mexico will pay" part will get nudged further and further to back burner. "The Wall" becomes fence and whatever else Congress and homeland security figures is actually needed -- not to destroy trade relationships but to improve control of immigration from a neighboring state.

This guy. He'll cost us more in handling and boxing-in than he ever thought to kick in to #MAGA.

The OP's list is good but not quite comprehensive and who could blame him, something else pops onto it daily.

Jared and Ivanka for instance: they have picked a house, a synagogue, they are DC-bound for sure. Trump definitely means to make the Presidency a family business.

I dunno if we're missing some quiet corners of freakout in congressional cloakrooms, or those guys are still in denial about what Trump's intentions are for this government. I look at some of Trump's cabinet and advisor picks, his Russia thing, the kids/biz, his complete disdain for disapproval from any quarter, his total lack of shame about anything like financial disclosures, insouciant failure to keep promises, his outright lies, back to back policy flips, attempts to discredit and suppress media, and I feel like I'm watching a B movie about the rise of the politlical terrain that the likes of Trujillo cultivated in the Dominican Republic before he came to power in 1930. Still, Trujillo was a lot younger and his reign lasted 30 years... but what's a family biz for if not to establish a dynasty.

LOL and this ethically challenged Congress thinks they have a tiger by the tail. Have they looked up the videos of how you dismount a tiger if the idea should occur at some point?

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Which means the U.S. taxpayer will be paying for it.

Who cares if afterward he is inflicts economic retribution on Mexico.

That just shows what vindictive ass he is.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Very implausible. Of course many will be replaced, but not that fast.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Trump is just not accepting any requests to allow them to stay in the position longer. The only unusual part is that previous POTUS' have accepted those types of requests.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Double kudos on this post. We need a quorum to call BS on his antics or he and we will be rewarded by even a more inept and dangerous government that does not serve the people. We were already headed down this road before we voted to let Trump step on the accelerator.

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nope, this one is fact:

"In an unusual step, President-elect Donald Trump's transition team has decided not to let U.S. ambassadors who are political appointees of President Barack Obama stay on for a grace period beyond Inauguration Day, a source confirmed Thursday.

The decision has left some of the diplomats, who represent the United States in countries such as Britain, Saudi Arabia and Japan, scrambling to figure out new living arrangements, visa rules and what options they have for their children's schooling. It also could mean some top U.S. embassies are left without an ambassador for months as Trump finds his footing."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-ambassadors-obama-appointees-233262

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Well the original post said "ALL", you are talking about political appointees not those coming out of Foreign Service for example.
    What he's doing is quite normal, albeit in a stronger way.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The demand that they leave before being replaced is anything but normal for power transition. It's disrespectful to the host country as well to create a gap where none was necesssary. It's spiteful, vindictive, finger in eye partisan politics with the potential for upsetting cordial relationships abroad for no reason.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The demand for resignation is absolutely normal.

16. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Er, let me repeat what that Politico article stated:

"In an unusual step, President-elect Donald Trump's transition team has decided not to let U.S. ambassadors who are political appointees of President Barack Obama stay on for a grace period beyond Inauguration Day"

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The demand is not unusual, it's actually expected.
    Usually a few of them get an extension, while for the majority of embassies affected the charge d'affaires takes care of it.

18. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Obama Gives Political Ambassadors Their Pink Slips
    By Glenn Kessler
    The incoming Obama administration has notified all politically-appointed ambassadors that they must vacate their posts as of Jan. 20, the day President-elect Barack Obama takes the oath of office, a State Department official said.

The clean slate will open up prime opportunities for the president-elect to reward political supporters with posts in London, Paris, Tokyo and the like. The notice to diplomatic posts was issued this week.

Political ambassadors sometimes are permitted to stay on briefly during a new administration, but the sweeping nature of the directive suggests that Obama has little interest in retaining any of Bush's ambassadorial appointees.

Most ambassadors, of course, are foreign service officers, but often the posts involving the most important bilateral relations (such as with Great Britain, Japan and India) or desirable locales (such as the Bahamas) are given to close friends and well-heeled contributors of the president.

By Web Politics Editor | December 3, 2008; 10:04 AM ET

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Exactly. It's a non problem, and something expected. I would bet that at most five ambassadors were granted an extension by Obama. There are about 60 political posts (including 10 to the United Nations) out of 200 or so, and all the embassies are staffed with someone that functions as a charge d'affaires, and that person is usually someone trained to be an ambassador by the Foreign Service.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That was totally different and okay.

21. webbuzz, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

This Gizmodo 'fake news' article that Trump fired leaders of the National Nuclear Security Administration was good too. Thanks to the writers at Gizmodo and Teen Vogue.

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Tax all wire transfers to Mexico 75%. Seize all money walking into Mexico in illegal possession.

According to GAO's analysis of the World Bank's Bilateral Remittance Matrix, in 2014, about $25 billion was sent to Mexico.

Tax all American goods made in Mexico and imported back into the United States.

In 2013, the United States gave Mexico $51.5 millionin foreign aid. Drop that down to ZERO.

One way or the other, they can be made to pay.

23. 5684697, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  24. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Er, no.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It seems Trumpelion to flush everyone without much of a thought, if any. Such as are the current Ambassadors competent? Why put such an upfront load on our State Department? I see an eerie parallel to the last "no thought" Republican Administration. That must be something they pride themselves on. :oops: