Is this a sign of a faulty graphics card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grahamtearne, Jan 15, 2009.

1. grahamtearne macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a MacBook pro, the one before the unibody update. I understand there are a lot of complaints about faulty graphics cards in these models. I have my MBP hooked up to a 1920x1080 Dell monitor and have been using it for graphics intensive stuff like photoshop and combustion compositing and havnt had any problems. However last night I noticed the screen was flickering when watching a video online or something and its now doing it whenever I do something in preview with a larger image, photoshop, play a quicktime video or use the itunes visualizer. It only flickers on the external monitor though. Is this a sign of a bad card or bad monitor. Ive tried to upload a video of my dragging a selection in preview and it flickering but it doesnt show up too good. I have checked the cables and they are not loose and it only flickrs when I do something 'graphical'.

Thanks.

video: here

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That doesn't look like a fault GPU since it only happens on your external monitor. I would look into seeing if you monitor has a loose panel cable, etc. I hope you did buy the extended warranty on the monitor?