Is this battery life normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Feltzem, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Feltzem macrumors regular

[​IMG]

I've been getting about 10-11 hours of battery life from my iPhone 5, from average use. I'm not sure what's expected as this is my first iPhone. When I first charged it, I was planning on charging fully to 100%, but had to go somewhere for about 10 mins. After that I plugged in back in and charged it to 100%. Would that have made much difference?

2. DrewQuinz macrumors member

Yes some people are only getting 4-6 hours...consider yourself lucky

3. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Wow... You get great battery life. I usually can get a MAX of 6 hours of "usage" I'll get about 12-18 hours of standby.

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I think he came here to gloat. That is awesome battery life.

5. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

Yeah but that's deceptive, because it could have been partially charged between use.

6. Feltzem thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I guess that's good then! Seriously didn't come here to brag, I just didn't know if I should be expecting more. I hadn't charged it since taking it off at 100%. On my ipad 3 I get about 12-16 hours. I guess that's good too?

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I know you weren't bragging. I'm just jealous. I'm getting around 7 to 8 with my typical usage. Might be able to pull out 9 if I'm real lucky and disable a lot of things. But I'm still not getting that kind of stand by time. I'm maybe getting 16 hours standby on a full charge. And considering the ipad is only advertised at 10 hours, I'd say that's pretty good. What is normal usage for you?

8. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I was told that if you have LTE enabled, but don't have the service in your area, it can drain the battery faster :confused:

9. Feltzem thread starter macrumors regular

On my iPhone, normal usage is a about an hour web browsing, couple hours reading in iBooks, maybe 15 minutes calling, an hour or so using turn by turn in Maps, and the rest is split up browsing between various apps like Flipboard, Reeder, Messages, Tweetbot, Alien Blue, Jasmine, etc.

On my iPad I spend a bit more time web browsing and reading both books and magazines.

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I don't know but I'm gonna try it. Neither of the two major towns I spend my time in has LTE yet. I just never bothered to turn it off.

Feltzem, your usage seems about on par with what I do typically. Very impressive to me at least.

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Ummm, wrong. definitely not. It would say that the phone was plugged in during that period if it was. No deception here. Move along.

12. CanadaEh macrumors regular

13. sfchky03 macrumors newbie

sfchky03

If he plugs in the iphone anywhere during the battery duration, a phrase would say "iphone has been plugged in after use"

14. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

You sir are incorrect. Try plugging your phone in for 5 minutes and looking at the usage again. If it's not charged to full, it will not reset the usage. I just did that just to make sure I was not imagining things. Been using iOS since the first iPhone and that's always been the case. It will say that if you back out and come back to the screen, but not if it stays there. I was not witch hunting because I honestly don't care much about someone else's usage, but I could make my usage say 100 days if I really wanted to :p
    Also, that screenshot is on WiFi. I am getting 7ish hours with LTE enabled, so if 3G is turned off, I could easily see someone getting 9.

15. iEs macrumors regular

iEs

And YOU sir ARE correct. I've noticed this too when I plugged in my iphone 5 to charge for a few 5 mins and took it off and that message did not pop up on usage. Tbh I don't believe this guys stats. Obviously no iPhones last that long! #WakeUp

16. arliu macrumors regular

17. Boston04 macrumors newbie

How can I fix this? Please help

Attached Files:

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is your reception usually two bars or less, as it is on the screenshot?

19. Usehername macrumors member

OP's stats looks normal to me. I'm getting around the same, 9-11hrs usage with like 20-24hrs standby. I'm loving the 5's battery life compared to my crappy 3GS.

20. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

That is not great battery life.

21. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I also get a full 8 hours or so with mine but i do get full bars as a norm and do not lave Lte as i reside in the Uk ,whose networks are in the infancy of implementing 4g/lte.

Also im at work through the day so im not using it all the time.

I perhaps send around 20 texts per day, make a few short phone calls and surf around 2-3 hours per day. Very little gaming and very little video you tube use too.

I consider myself a light to moderate user. ;)

22. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I could pull 9 hours. Depends what I'm doing. If I'm looking at pictures in my camera roll, 9 hours is nothing.

Now blast pandora on Bluetooth while surfing the web on LTE, have a hundred apps pending download, all in 130 degree Fahrenheit weather and show me 9 hours.

Then I'll be impressed.

23. KeanBurke macrumors newbie

I don't think these people getting 9 hours of battery life are really using their phone enough. I use my phone to do just about everything, Youtube( a lot of it), text(a lot), web browse(a lot), facebook, instagram, a few phone calls, instant message, tagged, download stuff and make a few calls and listen to music of course. I get 7.5 hours out of that

24. andrv1126, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

andrv1126 macrumors newbie

I'm getting really miserable battery life on mine - hardly better than my old 3GS on iOS 6. The battery, however, is on it's third charge/discharge cycle - is there an initial "break-in" period? Should I hope it improves or should I take it to Apple?

P.S. I'm in the UK, so no LTE and I usually have a pretty stable signal. I even set it up as a new phone - haven't restored anything from backup.

25. Ctg44 macrumors newbie

Man since I got my phone I've been getting incredible battery life, like 11-12 hours. For some reason today I'm going to get about 4 hours tops. It's making me nervous.