Is this even possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oleslb, Jun 10, 2013.

1. oleslb macrumors newbie

OK this is a little tricky to explain but ill try. Let me know if you need more clarification.

So i'm looking at buying an Iphone (probably 3gs) and using it more like an Ipod to avoid getting the data charges due to the price. I also have a typical sliding cell phone with a $10 per month common texting plan. Next year i'm going to be on a campus that has wifi throughout the whole campus. So what I need to know is....
    Is there an application or something (even if the iPhone needs to be jailbroken) that will allow me to text people through my other phone and receive the text messages that are sent to my other phone to my Iphone so I don't have to carry both around with me when im in a wifi hotspot and will just have all text messages go through my iPhone?

Thank You!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    You will need to have the particular sim card inside the iphone to be able to send and receive texts with that phone number through the iphone.

3. oleslb thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i move the phones sim card into the iphone?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't see why not.
    If the sim is in the iphone you can call and send and receive texts using the iphone.
    Or you can just use imessages or any other instant messenger service without the sim inside and just by using wifi.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Move the SIM card from the basic phone if you can (might help if you tell us what carrier) and turn off cellular data in the iPhone's settings. That way you can use it to call, text, and use wifi.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If this 3GS is unsubsidized and unlocked, just buy a cheap Pay-As-u-Go phone plan, which typically is 10c/min 10c/text.