Is this even possible?

oleslb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
OK this is a little tricky to explain but ill try. Let me know if you need more clarification.

So i'm looking at buying an Iphone (probably 3gs) and using it more like an Ipod to avoid getting the data charges due to the price. I also have a typical sliding cell phone with a $10 per month common texting plan. Next year i'm going to be on a campus that has wifi throughout the whole campus. So what I need to know is....
Is there an application or something (even if the iPhone needs to be jailbroken) that will allow me to text people through my other phone and receive the text messages that are sent to my other phone to my Iphone so I don't have to carry both around with me when im in a wifi hotspot and will just have all text messages go through my iPhone?

Thank You!

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Move the SIM card from the basic phone if you can (might help if you tell us what carrier) and turn off cellular data in the iPhone's settings. That way you can use it to call, text, and use wifi.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
If this 3GS is unsubsidized and unlocked, just buy a cheap Pay-As-u-Go phone plan, which typically is 10c/min 10c/text.