Is this happening for anyone? (Phone switching to EDGE in 3g areas)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xolan99, Aug 15, 2008.

1. xolan99 macrumors regular

Recently, I noticed that when I pick up my iPhone and "wake" it up from sleep mode, the phone will be on the EDGE network. I have to reset it via Airplane Mode or turning 3G on and off to get back on 3G.

Is this happening for anyone?

I live in NYC, btw, if that matters.

2. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

happens to me all the time. I live in a 3g covered area and I hardly ever get 3g its always edge.

3. steve1973 macrumors newbie

3G reverts to Edge

On Long Island, in Lake Ronkonkoma 3G 1 bar or less near home. Near cell site( 1.5 miles away) 5 bars.

At home 3G goes to edge often.

4. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the weird thing is that I am in a 3G area. I'm supposed to have 3G all the time but for some reason, I keep getting randomly booted to EDGE.

5. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I have this issue too. I can understand if Apple has the phone set to switch to Edge if the 3G signal falls below a certain threshhold, but, it seems to me, the moment the 3G signal is back, the phone should switch itself back instantly, but it doesn't. I know this because I often take the phone out of my pocket, it's on Edge, I switch 3G back on and I have a good signal, the phone should have switched it back on its own.

I also think the phone switches to Edge prematurely, before it needs to.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I live in a 3G area as well and both of m 3G phones stay connected to 3G 95% of the time. There is about a 2 block range where I happen to live where there is no 3G service. It's just a dead area for the most part. I can get 3G 99% of the time in the top floor of my home. Once I leave this two block range, I get 3G service just fine, 3-5 bars in most areas.