Is this hard drive macbook pro compatible? (good deal for 250gb macbook pro hd)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kgarchar, Dec 5, 2007.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005774

I figure that it is, but it says

Probably just me being stupid, but I'd rather get the right hard drive then crack open my computer to find that this isn't going to work.

anyways, it's also a great deal.

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Seems to be OK. I didn't check dimensions though - it has to be a thin one I think (which it might well be).

3. Dr. Bombay macrumors member

I think you need to check whether the thickness of the drive is 9.5mm - those are the ones that will fit. The 12mm drives may be too thick.

4. kgarchar thread starter macrumors 6502

it said it was .37" thick (about 9.4mm thick)

so i think i'm alright

5. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Is this hard drive macbook pro compatible? (good deal for 250gb macbook pro hd)

All 2.5" laptop drives will work. There are no 2.5" drives that are made only for PCs, or only for Mac.

The only thing to be sure of, if it's for a laptop you need a 2.5" HDD. If it's for a desktop, you need a 3.5" drive.

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

7. Dr. Bombay macrumors member

FWIW, I just installed the Hitachi 7200rpm 200GB drive in my MBP - disk access does seem speedier and I haven't had any issues with power consumption or heat.

I had to replace the noisy fans on my MBP Core Duo, so I decided to upgrade the hard drive and wireless card at the same time.

8. MNMacLvr macrumors newbie

You can upgrade the wireless card?? .. I have a SR MBP 2.4GHz 4GB ram .. I had no idea you could get a different wireless card.. is there a fast one .. if so could u help a guy out with where to get one.. thanks :)

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You already have the best wireless card. Why would you even be looking to upgrade? Your computer can't be more than 6 months old, so its under warranty and without a doubt the newest thing on the block...

10. MNMacLvr macrumors newbie

that's what I thought... while I was waiting for a reply i did a little searching and found out that I have the airport extreme card... now a little variant on the question.. I am not running a apple wireless router.. I am using a netgear one.. i also have a linksys router... but both are 802.11g models.. does anyone out there have a non apple router that is 802.11n compliant.. and if so.. if you are on a cable modem.. what type of download and upload speeds cold i possible expect.. ??

11. MNMacLvr macrumors newbie

HDD, SATA 3.0Gbps

also... anyone know of ay 250GB 2.5" SATA replacement drives for the MBP that support a 3.0Gbps transfer rate... i see that the WD Scorpio is 1.5GBps.. but I guess i'd like something with the fastest transfer rate possible.. no reason.. I guess i just don't like upgrading multiple times.. LOL ..

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

LOL, you are lucky to see sustained transfer rates of 60MB/sec let alone 3Gbps or even 1.5Gbps

13. MNMacLvr macrumors newbie

60MB/s on an internal SATA 3.0 drive.. I have seen transfer rates faster than that on a desktop with a SATA1.5 drive.. are you referring to the wireless or wired network transfer rates.. and not the transfer rates between an internal physical disk and the motherboard itself??? I guess i'm a little confused.

14. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yes on say a 10K RPM WD Raptor you may see ~100MB/Sec sustained transfer rate, probably a bit less. These fast notebook HD's maybe 60MB or so at a guess. Point is, SATA1 interface is rated at a theoretical maximum speed of 1.5Gbps and SATA2 interface is rated at 3.0Gbps, neither of which makes any difference since the drives themselves come nowhere near reaching that limit. If there were an SATA protocol that was only 200MB/Sec, it would be the same difference since we still can't even reach that speed.