Is this how an Apple "Genius" handles your phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surfer17, Sep 28, 2012.

1. surfer17 macrumors member

I had the static lines problem with my new iPhone 5. So I went in for a replacement at the Apple Store. They asked me to come back the next day to get my phone replaced. I went back the next day and an Apple employee gave me a replacement that had dings and scuffs on it. I told him that my iPhone was perfect out of the box. He agreed with me after he had a look.

So he went back in and got another replacement and told me that all the iPhones were bound to have some scuffs but he found one for me that didn't. He took my phone and gave me the new one. I was setting up my new replaced iPhone when I removed the sticker of the front screen and saw a nice big scratch at the bottom.

So I asked for the same Apple employee once again and asked him to give me something without any scratches or dings. Or give me a white one, if possible. I told him that it wasn't fair that I was getting something that was cosmetically in worse shape than my original faulty device was.

He got pissed and said he couldn't help me any more as all iPhones had the scuff marks. So I asked him if I could have my original iPhone back as at least I could live with a software issue that occurred infrequently rather than live with a permanent scratch that I would have to look at every time I picked up my phone. He got even more pissed, went back in, brought my phone out and slammed the phone on the table. I lifted it off the table and looked at the back and there was a small ding, and a small scuff mark from the recent phone slamming. I asked him why he did that and from then on he denied it was his fault that the phone had those marks. I asked another Apple employee if he could help me, he said I should go to another Apple store if I was looking for any further help.

This was my first experience with Apple's customer care and it was terrible.

Does this happen often? Because I had only ever heard good stuff about Apple's customer care. And here, they ended up damaging my device rather than helping me out.

While I don't have a problem with the phones having scuff marks out of the box, I do have a problem with Apple asking me to settle on a damaged $800 device. Unfortunately for me, I don't like any other phone either so returning the phone and getting some cheap plastic wasn't an option either.

2. CanadaEh macrumors regular

Should've asked for the manager and rip him a new one.

3. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I would have asked for a manager immediately and raised hell....doesn't matter where I am, nobody treats me that way.

I would call Apple and file a complaint against that genius and get him fired.

4. risenshine85 macrumors regular

I would esclate if I were you... this is a big issue right now for iphones having marks all over.

5. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I would not stand for that kind of treatment. There must be some sort of recourse available to customers in this kind of situation; I suggest you find it and utilize it.

6. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

For genius' they can be pretty dumb

Had a similar experience. My phone was getting extremely warm (iphone 4 with applecare+) He asked me where it was getting hot on the back. I told him it felt all over mostly near the center. He called me a liar to my face and told me that it could only get hot on one side. Then told me to come back in a week if it was still doing it. Later I looked up where the battery was and it was near the center so I wasn't completely wrong by saying that....

7. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Either go back and speak to a manager or call Apple directly.

The Genius needs to do his job better. It makes me so ANGRY to read posts like these because I have been trying on and off to get hired by Apple for the last two years only to be denied.

They (Apple) claims that it is easier to get into Harvard than to get a job at Apple, implying that they are very selective, and yet the employees I hear about on this board shouldn't have customer service jobs at all let alone a job at Apple.

Maybe a few months on unemployment would give these people some perspective...

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

We are all human and revert to type when under pressure and stress.

That said however, what you describe this Apple employee doing is out of order.

Im sure the apple shops have CCTV.

Escalate your recent experience and ask for the said cctv tapes to be reviewed.

Then seek redress.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm not calling you a liar, but I have never had an issue like this. Even when "discussing" an issue my product has always been treated well; often to the point of placing some kind of a microfiber cloth between my phone and the counter surface.

10. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

For a retail employee, when dealing with people the first rule is do not lose it. File a complaint. You paid money for that phone and it got mishandled, and he caused damage to your property. I would've asked for a manager, and the manager could either fire the genius or give him a verbal warning.

I would be annoyed at going back and forth but not angry. On the other hand, maybe he was having a bad day? Still I guess that isn't an excuse. He could've at least admitted his mistake and said sorry... Try to talk to the manager, if not phone Apple directly. No retail shop should have this kind of experience.

11. surfer17 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't mention in my initial post, but the first thing I did after he denied that it was any of his fault was ask to speak with the manager. And I was told, he's busy and not available.

But excellent advice of escalating the issue with the help of CCTV recordings. There is no way he can escape that. Guess I'm going back tomorrow and doing this. Will keep you guys updated as to what happens.

Thanks for your suggestions.

12. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Well dang dude I'd be really upset you should complain

13. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You definitely need to file a complaint with Apple to have this addressed. It seems like the employee(s) got frustrated with you because they had no iPhone's in stock which weren't cosmetically damaged. As a customer, you shouldn't be forced to accept a device that is already flawed cosmetically.

14. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

according some posters on here you are an inconsiderate fool for going in there and swapping out phones because they would rather wait with flawed phones so other people can buy em. You are ok in my book tho. I would get his name and call apple direct.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I definitely would not have left that store until I was given a new phone.

16. ssspinball macrumors 6502

No, that's not how Apple Store employees usually treat customers. You need to escalate this issue.

17. kalexn macrumors 6502

I have never had an issue like that and while I do not think what he did was appropriate in ANY way, shape, form or fashion, I have to give them a little slack as they have probably been dealing with a ton of people yelling at them over the phone issues. BUT, how he behaved was not right. I actually would have refused to leave the store until a manager was able to talk to me. Also, they have to have cameras and if he slammed it down then it has to be on there and visible. Did no one see what was going on?

18. surfer17 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I had other reasons to not hang around. I had to change 3 buses to get there as there is no Apple Store in my city. If I had hung around any longer, I would have missed my last bus and would have to pay for a cab.

The worse part is that I wasn't even rude to the employee until he slammed my phone back on the table, which is what ticked me off.

19. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Just because someone has technical expertise doesn't mean that he has "people skills". Lack of patience is fairly common nowadays but that doesn't excuse the behavior. :(

20. Defender2010, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Something similar happened to me a few months back.....my iPhone 4S speaker was crackling so I went to an Apple Store, they said it was faulty and wanted to replace it. It took 5 white iPhone 4S' until one was produced that was not dirty or had the plastic bezel around the glass not coming off. I commented on the condition of the refurbs and the girl got really pissy with me, saying "that's the way they are!" The next one opened was fine, but it was a shame it took so many to find a gem. She was clearly embarrassed.
    If I were Tim Cook I would address the quality control of the Chinese factories ASAP. Every product really has been prone to some issue...iPad, MacBooks, iPhones...
    It is really having a negative effect on the company. People DO expect near perfection with Apple products, these expectations are set by Apple themselves in their marketing techniques, so change whatever you need to in order to live up to it...

I forgot to add, I called AppleCare and the guy was very understanding but said they had no policy with cosmetic out off the box issues. He did offer me a £50 online store credit though! I ordered a smart case for my ipad to cover the parts where the white plastic was coming off above the front camera and below the home button - a vicious circle...

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, I would be furious too. I've generally have had a good experience with genius's. I had one iffy one when I made my first attempt to get my damaged Phone 5 replaced and pointed out the replacement had damage on it as well. She stated, " It's either that one or your original" in a tone that I didn't really care for and refused to open up any more replacements.

At a different store yesterday the genius was sympathetic to the damage and wished she could have opened up more than 2 replacements if it wasn't for store policy. We struck up a conversation about the iPhone 5 for a little bit at the tail end of the appointment.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I call bs on this 1st post newbies story.
    Sure, he slammed your phone infront of everyone inside a busy Apple store near the iphone 5 launch.
    And nobody else saw him so he can get in trouble or there is no cameras:rolleyes:

23. surfer17 thread starter macrumors member

I know where you're coming from. I don't take offense to that because I have always believed that half of Apple's stories are planted by Apple haters. But if I had to, I'd plant something bad about the iPhone 5 not their employees. And in this case everyone knows that the black iPhone 5 is plagued with scuff issues. Any how, I'm attaching a pic showing the damage done by the employee to my device. Not that this would convince you (not my intention), because an Android user can always find a black iPhone 5 with nicks and dings.

Attached Files:

24. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

1) Those nicks on the left in the picture are small but noticeable, but I honestly don't really see a ding. If it's just in that one spot, I'm not sure how it would have happened from being slammed down flat on it's back, unless there was something on the table that hit it (would have to be an extremely small piece of something though).

2. I have to agree with Applejuiced, how did no one else in the store notice this? Surely other employees would have at least noticed it. I know I would have immediately turned to look at what noise I heard in an Apple store (or maybe I'm just hoping to see expensive stuff break every once in a while)

25. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I was in one of the UK stores this morning getting my ip5 exchanged because my ip5 would not charge and also had a few dings.
    The genius assured me that he would not let me leave until I had a phone I was perfectly happy to accept. The second phone he opened was absolutely perfect and I could not fault it at all. The genius also give me an itunes gift voucher for my troubles.
    This is why I buy apple and will continue to, I have never had nothing but excellant customer service since owning the iphone2G.