Is this iPhone 5S? /rant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robE89, Jul 24, 2013.

1. robE89 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

No, this is not the new iphone 5s but im feeling a bit disappointed if the "iphone 5s" will look EXACTly like iphone 5. I am a proud user of iphone 4s and i feel tired that everyone is asking me "is this iphone 4s? or 4?" i can understand that this is a minor issue, i don`t buy my phone to show it off in public or anything like that but it feels bad that a NEW phone does`nt distinguish physically from the year old phone.

Do you think apple will add something, will change something that 5S users will distinguish from "5" users? do you feel annoyed by this?

Thanks and /rant off.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I plan on putting a case on my phone, so it's not like the back will be completely visible. Either way, it's not a big deal. The big deal for me about a 5S/6 will be getting LTE, upping my storage and getting a bigger screen. With most people in the US on two-year contracts or payment plans, it makes sense to make huge changes every other model. People like me on the 4S (and with older phones) are the ones who have come off our agreement and can upgrade for the lower prices instead of another $200 or $400.

Plus if there's a fingerprint scanner, I don't think your phone will need to say "5S/6" for people to know. If implemented correctly, that could be a game-changer for mobile security.

3. robE89 thread starter macrumors regular

It`s exactly what i think too :) don`t get me wrong but for me it`s still stupid to be exactly like the previous model and i think apple can do better than this. Just think that you buy the same clothes every year but they are only better quality than the last one. Id also want a slightly bigger screen but i guess Michael is correct and if they implement an fingerprint scanner that would be nice.

Just think out of the box, it`s a dangerous cycle if we get only new products every 2 year, why they can`t just go for a slightly bigger screen for example on 5S, you don`t have that exciting feeling for a NEW device. We all know how disappointing 4s was, their luck was that design wise 4/4s is a formidable device, but 5 don`t think have that of a big impact.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If you really want a new looking iPhone then wait till the 6. The 5s is not going to be radically different. That is why it is called 5s.

5. cynics macrumors G3

This.

Almost goes without saying......

6. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

So in other words, you just want people to see that you have a new phone.

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I think that is ridiculous. What do you care about what other people think about... your phone? I don't give a damn about it. If you want people to notice what model is your phone , you can yell it at them, or wear a t shirt saying "owner of an iPhone X". Alternatively, you could buy a cover with a clear sign of "iPhone X" written on it, so people to which you show off in public your phone will know about it.
    I could understand if you said you disliked the aesthetics of the phone itself, but your argument doesn't make any sense. People want phones to use them.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yeah, they should change it like the note does every cycle... and the s4 does... yeah they should do that! Oooops :eek:

Attached Files:

9. cynics macrumors G3

That's a stretch. I can tell the difference just by pictures albeit similar in design (difference housing, different screen sizes, the screen got bigger on the S4 while the device got smaller).

I couldn't tell the difference between a 4 and 4S if I was holding both without turning them on. Assuming the 5 and 5S will be the same.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You can't? I can. Different antenna structure
    [​IMG]

11. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Proud User ? When does having a smartphone make anyone a proud user ? It's a phone for pete sakes. Than you said you don't show it off, but the words, "Proud User" suggest that you do. You really have got to get a life.

12. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Same with me, people always seem confused when I can tell the 4 and 4S apart, although it's hard to tell if they have a case.
    And if you REALLY want people to know you have the latest device, just wear a shirt saying "I'm richer than you."

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Personally, I don't really care if they use the same design for 2 different phones. Who cares if people can't tell if you have a 4 or 4S.:rolleyes:

15. djepsilon macrumors member

How do you think Galaxy owners feel?

"Hey man, is that the Galaxy SIII Turbo Thunder Clapper or the Galaxy SII Super Charged Starry Eyed Surprise?"

"Neither man, it's the Galaxy S4 Active"

"Oh cool! How different is that from the Galaxy S4 Mini?"

"...It's not really"

--------
    For the record, the Galaxy S4 has FIVE iterations. Yes, FIVE.

Bottom line, I wouldn't complain.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You're pissed because people don't know which phone model you have? Who cares? Why does it matter that much to you?

17. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

We all know why. The phone has become a status symbol for many and a fashion statement for others.:eek:

For me it just plain works great!

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Apparently, for some, their total self concept and sense of self worth is determined by others knowing what phone they have.

So sad...:(

:rolleyes:

19. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

While I agree with OP there isn't anything to distinguish the S models from the x models (other than an antenna location change or something), people shouldn't worry about if their phone looks different. When people ask me if my phone is a 4 or 4S, I simply tell them 4S and they ask to try out Siri and I oblige. Though these complete overhauls every 2 years are working now for Apple, I think in a few years they will start losing sales to Samsung and HTC and will have to make some changes.

20. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Face it: the days of anyone caring the least about the model of your smartphone are gone. They are too ubiquitous; the only time anyone will even demonstrate a new phone to others is when they get an upgrade, and then it will only be for friends and close acquaintances. No one is coming up to you randomly and asking if your phone is a 4 or 4S; that distinction and any "pride" you associate with it exists only in your head.

I remember when the iPhone first came out; people legitimately did randomly come up to me and ask about it, such as when I was sitting around at Starbucks with my friends. That hasn't happened to me since the iPhone 3G, and I highly doubt that it's happening to 99% of smartphone users anymore (except maybe the Note; that phone is stupid big and I have asked someone about it in a meeting before).

The 5S is going to look like the 5, just like the 4S and 3GS before them. If that bothers you, wait for the 6...and then when the 6S comes out, enjoy the humiliation as people ask you if it's a 6 or 6S and you have to admit that it's the inferior model. :rolleyes: ;)

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I was thinking the same thing about almost any Mac owner. Since the iMacs went from white to silver/black, they didn't change much until the latest batch sans optical drive. MacBook Pros haven't changed much since the unibody switch, Mac Minis have only had the one outer redesign, and MacBook Airs I don't think are distinguishable at all between models.

And all of those devices cost more than an iPhone.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

What kind of company do you keep OP? When the iPhone was new and not a lot of people had it it was commonplace for people to ask. The last three years I've been asked exactly never which iPhone in using. Everybody has one. Nobody cares.

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

When the new iPhone comes out, a bunch of complainers will denounce it as a catastrophic failure, the downfall of Apple, the end of civilization, etc., no matter WHAT the design. Then a week later, those very same people will head over to the accessories forum, to discuss what god awful electric blue aluminum and rubber exoskeleton they should clamp onto the phone they swore they wouldn't buy, thereby covering up every last remnant of the design they complained so vocally about.

Happens each and every year.

24. takeshi74, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. Design change isn't at the top of my priorities. If new design is a priority then get the 6 as suggested above.

The 5s will not be exactly like the previous model. It wouldn't be a 5s if it was exactly the same. As for "stupid" what makes restyling every year "smart"? You seem to be confusing what you want with "smart".

How is it dangerous? You keep throwing out adjectives with no support for them. And again, we're not getting new products every 2 years. If you determine products based solely on exterior appearance then that's your problem.

No, we don't. I've been very happy with my 4s. You may been disappointed but you can't just extrapolate that into disappointment on everyone else's behalf.

25. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

My '09 mbp13 does not distinguish from the '12 mbp13 and I think its good and I don't mind to answer questions asked.
    Further more I don't mind using "old" tech.