Is this iPhone repairable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kawasakirider, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I thought it would be fun to see how long my phone would last on the roof of my car! It lasted about 30 seconds, but it had real staying power when it came to laying on the road for 40 minutes getting pounded by vehicles!

I'm really surprised how well it held up actually. I'll let the pics and vid do the talking.
    [video=youtube;R71I9is51J8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R71I9is51J8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The phone itself really isn't that bad. I couldn't give a rats about the glass as I can replace it easily and everything else on it is still pristine including the back glass and the metal band.

The thing I am worried about is the touch feature. It doesn't work... Could the actual screen (not glass) be damaged to the point it gives out a great picture, but isn't responsive at all? I'm not going to replace the glass on it if it's not going to work.

I'm really annoyed, I look after the phone pretty well and haven't damaged it since they launched (which was when I got it). It has been unresponsive and doing weird things recently, so maybe it was time for a new one. It sucks because apple will never believe that it was being crappy, so I'll have to somehow sort it out

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The front glass, LCD screen, and digitizer are all permanently glued together. To replace one, you have to replace the others are one unit.

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

That's pretty awesome how the little thing still turns on and powers.

4. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Oh really? That's good news. There's a guy around here that does it for around $100. I could claim it on insurance and get a brand new one, though.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Really? Because my insurance company won't pay for my iPhone fully if it gets stolen or broken... I have to pay the first $300.

6. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah mate, really lol. I've had a couple of lost phones replaced on insurance. I'm in Australia, though.

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Can I ask why you did that? Forgive me for my ignorance if the video explained it, I couldn't watch it ATM.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

He was just joking... He probably left it on the roof of his car by accident ;)

9. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that ^^^ would have given it away :p

On the money, mate.

So horrible not having a phone, it's crazy how much you rely on it. I'm only a uni student so I don't have the cash to put in an insurance claim yet.

I can get a new one through insurance for $100, then get the screen, digitizer and glass replaced on this for $110 then sell one of the phones. Going to do that when I have the funds.

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I dropped my iphone and replaced the screen myself. The part was $30 from ebay. Its not that hard if you go slowly and carefully. I used a video tutorial from youtube.

11. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

I rebuild my race bikes and do engine conversions on my cars, not really worried about the complexity of the whole thing. What I'm worried about is a non apple screen being poorer quality.

12. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

i had my front glass replaced last week and i can tell you it is NOT a iphone 4 retina display apple quality.. it really pissed me off. it looks great straight on but if you view it from the side or anything you can tell its not the same. its hard to explain.. cost me 90 bucks.. idk how to resolve this.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is it retina though? Maybe its like an iPod Touch display?

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Should of just spent the extra $60 to get an oow exchange

15. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

whats a oow exchange
    ..edit nvm i looked it up

16. sbddude macrumors 6502a

The screen I got was indistinguishable to the original and my wife's iphone.

Sellers description on ebay says "OEM".

17. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

A little duck tape should work.

18. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Replace the front digitizer yourself and you'll be fine. Ive done this procedure to similar (and worse) phones than yours and they were fine.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

if this guy isn't authorized by Apple, it's likely that the quality of his parts will be "poor" as well.

probably just buys them online in bulk, gets shipped from China and makes a nice profit per repair.

20. wpotere Guest

First, just swap it at Apple. For the parts and time you will not save all that much.

Now, I have bought screens from iFixit and can say that they are the same quality of Apple. I even compared it to the Mrs. which is factory and it looks the same. I rebuilt my phone from several broken ones and had to replace the screen.

As for the people saying to just replace the glass, you can't do it easily and will likely destroy the digitizer trying to get the old glass off. On the older models this was possible but not on the 4 or 4s.

21. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just going to swap this one plus $200 for a refurb. Anyone know if it's possible to buy a refurbed iPhone 4 from Apple in Australia? Is it much more $$ than handing in another phone with it?

Also, is it possible to get a white refurb?

Cheers!

22. ah123, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

ah123 macrumors regular

That's what she said :D

Sorry, couldn't resist...

As for the phone, it looks really messed up but I'm impressed that it still turns on and the screen works (albeit without the touch...)! Can you feel the cracks with your hand (or face...) or is there a laminating cover stopping it from scratching you?

23. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

It's not like a car windscreen mate, I can feel the cracks and pick pieces of glass off the phone.

24. Merkie macrumors 68020

I lol'd.

25. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Nope...You're stuck with Black. They are not allowed to switch colors. Tried it with my daughters phone and got into a long discussion about it. It boils down to nothing more then having to swap out with the EXACT same model, color and all. No exceptions. At least that's what I was told. You could always try!