is this is good to use as a monitor for a 2010 mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utl768, Nov 24, 2010.

1. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

That seems more like a television than a monitor. Its limited to 720p for 21" - which would mean the pixels will be HUGE. I wouldn't recommend it!

2. MacHamster68, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

it will work no doubt ,but is a 22inch display with a 1366 x 768 resolution really good as a computer monitor ? i would prefere on a 22 inch display at least a 1900x1080 resolution , because all techi stuff aside in plain simple words :the higher the resolution in relation to screen size the better the picture quality , especially on websites as most tv's are layed out to diplay movies , but a computer monitor needs to display still pictures like websites with a lot of written words on , so a low resolution will make letters and such a bit pixelated , but good news this problem exists on near all TV's actually ,as you are not supposed to sit in front of it like you do on a computer monitor , a tv is made to sit in one corner of the room while you sit on the couch in the opposite corner , well and from the distance the pixelation is not obvious

3. utl768 thread starter macrumors 6502

id mostly use it for suring the internet, editing some video, and watching some youtube videos and some hulu content

no gaming at all

i know its a little over priced but if i buy this monitor i can pay it out over 2 yrs which will help me alot

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I think you'd regret getting this as a display. If it's primary use is a computer monitor, you'll be disappointed. Text will be blurry and the entire system will look strangely enlarged. There are plenty of decent monitors for that price that I'd recommend. Is it only buying from Sony that allows you to pay out over 2 years? Will you be using it as a television also?

5. utl768 thread starter macrumors 6502

sony is the only place i can get the 2 years

why would it be blurry tho?

720p has always looked pretty good to me on everything ive seen

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It will be horrible for surfing the web. Text will look lousy and it will be fatiguing to read. The videos will likely look OK while they are playing. Everything else will be sub-standard.

At 22" you should run it at 1920X1080 (which this cannot do). By the time you get up to the 27"-30" size, 2560X1600 is what you would want.

The bottom line is that televisions make lousy computer monitors. They simply do not have enough resolution.

/Jim

7. utl768 thread starter macrumors 6502

i have an acer laptop right now an extensa 4620-4605

will it look any worse then this display

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have no idea what the display looks like on your laptop. I just cannot imagine being happy using a 22" 720P television as a computer monitor. The resolution is mis-matched to the size. The pixels will look too big, and text will look too fuzzy.

Buy a real computer monitor. You will be a lot happier in the long run.

/Jim

9. MacHamster68, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

just to compare it my near 4 year old iMac 17 inch has a resolution of 1440x900
    and personally i would advise to go for a used smaller tv as they offer the same resolution too , 1366x768 can be had already on 15 inch tv's which offer a much better picture quality if used as a monitor , but a bit small, so the ideal compromise would be to go for a 19 inch TV which too offer that resolution 1366x768 and are not that much smaller ,and it does not have to be a major brand , buy whats in your budget and as you need a loan for the sony it is not in your budget
    so follow my advise , dont go into dept for a TV
    i am not a fan of paying loans over years for things that can be picked up on ebay /craiglist in perfect condition with warranty too for much less ,so i would never advise someone to go for something that needs a loan especially not for something like a TV
    there is nothing wrong and nothing to be ashamed of if your "new " TV is already a year or two old or a bit smaller then the ones your mates have , everything is better then being in dept for years as its all to easy to get into dept , but hard to get out again , been there myself

dont get me wrong there , i just think about tomorrow , you could loose your job next year for various reasons , still a year to pay but from what , the tv has in one year lost more then half its value sony or not ,so selling to pay of the loan is not a option then , as you would still be in dept after selling , and dont believe in payment protection plans they are most times a big con , read the exclusions very carefully , i did not and they excluded back injuries and some other things on page 10 of the small print

if you would have asked to buy a iMac with apple care on a 2 year loan , i would have said yes go for it , because even if you would lose job and for whatever reason could not pay back the loan , you could sell it and pay of the loan as a iMac with apple care has still most of its value after even 2 years and buy a earlier model too and still be out of dept as you already would have payed some month off

10. dissolve macrumors 6502a

720p looks ok for video content because it has been only recently that we've moved away from 480p (SD). Computer monitors have been at much higher resolutions for quite some time. I think you should go with the other recommendations here and either get a smaller display at the same resolution or try to find a 1080p TV within your budget. I really don't think TVs make good monitors, but if your only option is Sony, shoot for the highest resolution you can afford.