Is this kind of battery drain normal for a 5S on iOS 7.1.1, clean install?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by j-a-x, May 7, 2014.

1. j-a-x, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014

j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Hi,

I have an iPhone 5S, clean install and iOS 7.11. I have only installed the apps I consider the most important to me, and only a few use background app refresh.

I have noticed my battery is draining faster than I expected with minimal usage (texting, email and a bit of browsing the web and Instagram, but no games or graphics intensive apps or photography). I am in Downtown Houston with a strong cellular signal and WIFI for ~50% of the time. I have not spoken on the phone at all, only used data. Brightness is at maybe 30% or 40%.

Does this look normal, or should I bring it into Apple and claim a potentially defective battery? How many minutes of usage do you guys get before you're down to ~70% battery? I just want to know what might be considered 'normal'.

photo.PNG

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's a background location service arrow appearing in the status bar on the right by the battery meter, which might be contributing to battery use. Any idea what app/service that might be associated with? Might be worth trying turning that off and/or turning off background refresh itself for a period of time to see if that makes any difference.

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Thanks, but I don't think that's a big deal. I ran a weather app which used location services to figure out what city I am in. That is all. Shouldn't result in battery drain.

My question is: does the battery drain shown look normal or abnormal? I wish there was a way to look at the remaining mAh capacity like you can with a Mac but iOS doesn't seem to give you this option.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's hard to say if the battery usage is really normal or not based on that given that the usage isn't really linear. Plus you'd want to keep an eye on a few cycles/days to get more of an average.

As far as the location arrow, the reason why I brought it up is the one that's there in the screenshot is a hollow/empty one, which is one associated with background location service, one that runs pretty much constantly (vs. a filled in one that's there for a short period of time when used by an app and perhaps a bit afterward). Not sure if it might be related to anything in particular, but thought it might be worth looking into.

Given everything see what sort of usage and standby time you get when you use up more of the battery--basically at the end of the day/cycle when you are going to recharge. And see how that is over a few cycles/days to get a more average feel for it to see if there might be something that is using up the battery more than normal or not.

As far as capacity, you can get a desktop application like iBackupBot that will allow you to see that information for your phone.

5. Armand2REP macrumors newbie

If the location arrow is displayed, then it is constantly draining your battery. Find what is using it under Privacy and turn it off.

6. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Siri, reminders, maps, Apple store all show the arrow icon in location services. I wouldn't want maps to not be able to locate me or go have to toggle maps in privacy each time I launch it or each time I activate Siri. So that's why I'm not really sure that turning location services is the solution. I'll go to apple and see what they say.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Location being used when using an app/service (with the location arrow being disaplayed as full/filled in on top) is one thing, but location being used in the background in possibly a consistent manner (with the location arrow being displayed as empty/hollow) is another thing that could potentially cut into battery usage without you realizing it.

There are also various (system) services that might be doing things with location too that might not really be needed. You don't really have to disable location services, but changing some for some apps/services or some location related options in some apps might help.

You might want to check some information at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5594 and similar places about it all to see what it's all about.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

9. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Well I took it to the app store and the analyzed the battery drain curve during my day and said it was not normal. The battery capacity was norming but it was draining much faster than normal - even when sleeping or idle. It strangely didn't seem to drain faster when I was working on it compared with when it was idle in my pocket. The took Apple techs have for analyzing that data is impressive but it's not available for consumers they said.

The app "System Status" has a CPU graph feature and the graph was consistently at 20-30% CPU even when idle (not an official Apple troubleshooting technique but something i noticed).

Anyways, Apple said it was abnormal and since a clean install didn't fix anything they gave me a new phone. So I'll test my new phone out tomorrow and report back here if it works any better.