Is this MacBook worth the £'s?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by phonitron, Jun 15, 2012.

1. phonitron macrumors member

Hi folks, I've an opportunity to buy the following white unibody macbook from late 2009:

White Unibody (great cosmetic condition)
    2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    250GB Hard drive
    Nvidia 9400m graphics

At a asking price of £375 GBP

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the bargain that presents itself? I've checked mac2sell.net and it seems to think I'm paying slightly over the odds. There is no warranty left on the machine.

Thanks in advance folks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you have to ask, it's probably not worth it. Why do you need a Core 2 Duo Macbook?

3. phonitron, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

phonitron thread starter macrumors member

TBH I thought it was an OK price until I spoke to a buddy at work, so thought I'd put the question out there...

I'm after a cheap laptop to replace an ageing powerbook g4 because I want to be able to run Windows in a virtual environment, which I'm currently unable to do. Also browsing certain sites is now getting difficult on my old Powerbook.

I'd plan on installing an M4 SSD (£95) and 4GB RAM (£25) to speed things up. £500 in total almost

I was thinking about the cheapest version of the macbook air with my student discount and applecare which would be about £800. I can actually afford it but I'm thinking that if the 13" retina MBP comes out this year or next, a cheap macbook could see me through and I hopefully wouldn't lose too much if I decide to sell it one. I could of course sell the air with a warranty which would likely hold more value but I guess I'm just a bit of a penny pincher!

Cheers guys, any more advice/thoughts appreciated.

4. angelsguardian macrumors regular

If you're patient you can do better. I got a 2010 model (turned out to be April 2011) Macbook for £280 on eBay last month. Then managed to get Apple to replace the case and display out of warranty although both were minor cosmetic issues. I've seen at least one go for similar money since. Put 8Gb in it and it's lovely.

5. phonitron thread starter macrumors member

Cheers dude, thanks for the advice! Will keep my eyes open. And here's me thinking I wa getting a sweet deal...

6. angelsguardian macrumors regular

No problem it's a great machine. The wife stole it to replace a 2 week old £600 Samsung PC laptop!