Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
My mom just bought my iPad 2. So I will now be buying the new iPad, but I haven't pre-ordered it, and work all day on Friday. Am I screwed on finding one for awhile?

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
eBay prices are going up. If you put up some labor you will get one. When the ipad 2 came out The Apple stores got deliveries almost everyday.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Preorder ASAP just in case. Then try to get one in person. You can always cancel the preorder if it hasn't shipped yet, or return it to the store if it has.

nowstime

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Can I return an online order at an Apple store? I couldn't, when I got my MacBook Pro from Apple.com (customized and defect).

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
if its that important, call in sick on friday or take a vacation day.

its supposed to go on sale at 8am, so if you line up early, you may just be an hour or two late to work.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
What configuration were you looking to buy ? .. I have three on the way, but may return two.. [ stupid friends flaked out :mad: ]

They are all AT&T 3G/ 4G LTE Versions:

1- 16 GB White
1- 32 GB Black

The third one [ 16GB White ] I'm keeping for the lady :)

badpinoy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
What configuration were you looking to buy ? .. I have three on the way, but may return two.. [ stupid friends flaked out :mad: ]

They are all AT&T 3G/ 4G LTE Versions:

1- 16 GB White
1- 32 GB Black

The third one [ 16GB White ] I'm keeping for the lady :)

you can sell on ebay for a profit.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Can I return an online order at an Apple store? I couldn't, when I got my MacBook Pro from Apple.com (customized and defect).

Customized MacBook Pros are different because Apple cannot resell your machine, even unopened. Everything else non customizable is different because I assume Apple will turn around, and resell it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
We still don't have confirmation when iPads will go on sale Friday, so there is still hope. Also it seems like Apple is cranking these out like no other iOS device before. People's iPads here that were suppose to ship by March 19 are now being delivered on launch day.

I'd go ahead and preorder and then see if you can get one on Friday. If you get one on Fri cancel the preorder.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
We still don't have confirmation when iPads will go on sale Friday, so there is still hope. Also it seems like Apple is cranking these out like no other iOS device before. People's iPads here that were suppose to ship by March 19 are now being delivered on launch day.

I'd go ahead and preorder and then see if you can get one on Friday. If you get one on Fri cancel the preorder.

Maybe Apple does have more inventory and they'd rather be safe than sorry by posting 'delayed' shipping dates to avoid uproar ??

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
So glad I'm away from the 15th to the 22nd. I'll be lying on the beach sipping rum while all the initial madness is going on.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Not sure what it was like in the US, but in the UK at least, it was very easy to get hold of an iPad 2 on launch. Afterall, it hadnt even been close to a full year since the iPad 1, so its understandable that the adoption rate was slower.

You'll probably see a higher adoption rate for the new iPad though. As those who didnt upgrade from the first iPad originally, will probably do so now.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Should be a piece of cake to find one. As you know from reading MacRumors Forums and media accounts, it is a simple spec-bump that will be lapped up by the Apple Faithful but few others. Everyone else is saving their money for the Super Amazing Next-Gen Android and Windows 8 tablets on the horizon. Expect to find the new iPad at steep discount prices within a month or so, maybe even a TouchPad-like firesale to clear inventory.

;)

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
^ You're just saying that to hopefully get folks to give up, freeing up inventory so you can get your iPad, right? *wink wink* *Say no more*

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
But you won't have a new iPad, so what's the point? :p
Point is I'm not stressin over getting it day one, and I likely won't care because of said beach and rum :).

I'm sure it won't be too hard to get my hands on one in due time upon my return.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
You'll need to spend some time "chasing" it down since Apple will most likely get daily shipments. However, stores will get unknown quantities at less certain time of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.